cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband spread

Keeleys2Q
Tuning in

We were recently upgraded to 136mbs from 100mbs but a number of areas of house that we got good signal we now don’t. 
We get the 136mbs but in a much narrower vertical funnel. 
How can we revert to better spread of signal. The extra speed is virtually irrelevant but the lack of broadband now in some rooms is a real problem 
thanks for any advice 

22 REPLIES 22

Thanks - I have an Ethernet cable but as the hub is located in one room and where it is located there is no issue with speeds I did not under the purpose of using on say a lap top? 
jonathan 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It is an experiment just trying to determine whether your issue is purely a wifi one - which it will be if the ethernet connected device remains connected when the wifi ones drop off. If it drops too then the issue is a Hub or cable connection issue.

If its not dropping and its just wifi - then what I posted earlier applies.

If you get a free pod.... fine. If not, dont pay £8/mo rental, buy your own better kit

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello Keeleys2Q

Thanks for posting in regards to your wireless network signal strength, were you able to follow the advice and steps offered by jbrennad? Did they help at all?

We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

When running a speed test we would always recommend running this via a wired connection This can be completed using an ethernet cable via a PC or laptop and will allow us to see the speeds available at the Hub.

We do have the Connect App https://virg.in/connectapp that will allow you to scan your property to optimise the wireless network and if needed order pod's. Depending on your package these may be free but any package is eligible for these if needed.

You can also give the team a call on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 option 1 then option 2 this will get you through to the Broadband technical team who will be able to look into this further for you. 

Rob

Rob thanks but if you read the emails you would know. various tests done. I am still waiting for Megan to come back to me re a Wi-Fi pod as I also did the speed tests and provided the results to her.

Jonathan 

Hi Jonathan,

I've been able to take a look at things from our side, running through a few checks, can you please reboot your hub for me, and if possible are you able to move any devices over to a wired connection?

Alex_Rm

Hello Alex

just rebooting now. I don’t have any wired devices. iPhones iPads Tv etc all work in the Wi-Fi. The hub is in a bedroom above the lounge. 
I have no issue with speed in bedroom lounge or room above. I get the full speed. It is the peripheral rooms that used to get a slower but steady speed that now drop out all the time like the kitchen and the office that are causing problems. 

Thank you for that information. To confirm, do you have any boosters or power line adapters?

^Martin

Hello 

No, have not been required before 

Thanks

Jonathan

Can you scan the property using the Connect App please? This will help optimise the wireless network and recognise any blackspots in the property. If required, it will also allow you to order the Pod's.

let us know if this helps.

Rob

Did that 10/15 emails ago thanks. Miranda was due to be coming back to me re wifi pods but hasn’t 

Jonathan