Menu
mik55
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speeds

Can anyone tell me we’re I go now I have been on vivid 350 broadband a month now and it has not worked properly since I joined doing virgins speed test I’m getting between 70 and 96 mbps download speed and 20mbps upload having spent countless amounts of time on the phone to virgin was informed nothing wrong with broadband  it must be my equipment plus they told me I would not get 350 mbps download on wi fi but to only get 96 max when paying for 350 is a bit rich good job I’m not on. Vivid 50 or 100 as I would have no WiFi at all if what they say is correct and trying to get to speak to someone in technical is impossible always end up in a call centre at the other end of the world reading through a script to test equipment I am beginning to lose the will to live

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speeds

You pay for the speed delivered to the Hub, how you use it is up to you.

Firstly, I would check that the Hub is getting the correct speed. by testing with a Gigabit enabled PC connected directly to the Hub by CAT 5E or better Ethernet cable

Wireless speeds are affected by many external factors like Range, Client Hardware, Interference, Wireless Band,  The Number of Connected Devices, the Topography of your Home etc.

I would first check the capabilities of your wireless devices, bearing in mind you will need MIMO wireless ac clients to get anywhere near 350Mbps

0 Kudos
mik55
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I had all my WiFi devices on airplane mode my hub is less than 2 ft from my computer and my Ethernet cable is 1.5mtr in length and is cat 5e my download speed using speed test was 90mbps even with the worst computer in the world there has to be a problem and on my I pad air it was 15mbps
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As griffin says - & if the wired gigabit device still isn't getting near to 350

EDIT - just saw you said it didn't ....  so...

- boot it into "safe + networking" mode and try again. This will disable all software on it that might be attenuating the speeds, antivirus, traffic management, etc). Also there are lots of reports where browser issues can affect speed test results, so do the speedtest again with a fresh download of a new browser you dont normally use (e.g. Firefox, Opera etc). And also try at speedtest.net

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just for info - my iPhone7 gets 220 mbps (on Vivid200) when I connect to the 5GHz network sat a few feet from the router, if I then flick it to the 2.4 network it gets 80-90 mbps. Have you tried "forcing" the devices onto the 5 network by renaming the ssid's to separate them out? All my iDevices work far far better on that one.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mik55
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I only use the computer Todo trading from work as I pad for not support flash player I use iPad for everything else which nowadays I assume most people use s tablet instead of a desktop unit so not to be getting any where near advertised speeds using WiFi is s bit rich I know I am ranting but I've had this problem ever since I switchedprovider to virgin who promise best download speeds available no mention anywhere that wi fi speeds will not be as good but 15 mbps instead of the 350mbps is not on and no help from virgin what so ever
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@mik55 wrote:
I had all my WiFi devices on airplane mode my hub is less than 2 ft from my computer and my Ethernet cable is 1.5mtr in length and is cat 5e my download speed using speed test was 90mbps even with the worst computer in the world there has to be a problem and on my I pad air it was 15mbps

For clarification, are you saying you are getting 90mbps on a wired connection directly to the Hub?

If so, there could be a few reasons for this.
The NIC in the computer is a 10/100 Mbps adapter, I would check the make and model of the NIC.
The Ethernet cable has become faulty and not negotiating a gigabit link. Always worth trying a different CAT 5E cable.
There is a problem with the local VM circuit. if you have checked the first two points then posting the Hub's Stats would help diagnosis.

On the wireless side.
What model of iPad Air do you have?
Are you connecting to the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band?

0 Kudos