cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speeds dropping to very low levels

Storm77
Tuning in

Hi, I have been having a problem recently where the download speeds have dropped to very low levels (20megabits). I noticed this when working at home and my work was taking a long time to open. At the moment the only way to solve the issue is to do a factory reset on the router. I have had to do this twice in the last week. I have contacted customer service, I was told there was an intermittent network issue affecting my local area and 25% of the users. There should have been an engineer out to look at the issue, but I am not aware of this happening yet.

I can't do a speed test over Ethernet, as I have no PC with a gigabit LAN. I have to do the tests on my phone as that has the fastest WiFi. normally I get about 200 megabits plus.

I have set up the BMQ on think broadband and this is today's data so far. I just need help getting more diagnostic data.

a6aca80e26f036a8054ab5bc0328b50de8dfbc04-29-03-2022.png

7 REPLIES 7

Storm77
Tuning in

I forgot to mention I am on the 500 Mega bits product with a Hub 3.0.

Storm77
Tuning in

a6aca80e26f036a8054ab5bc0328b50de8dfbc04-29-03-2022.png

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you checked first for details of any “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

Is anything reported on those ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, no issues reported.

I have done a speed test on my phone, currently at 34 mega bits per second.

My only device with gigabit lan is a synology DS418. I don't think I can do a speed test on that.

Hi @Storm77

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your WiFi speeds. 

Thank you for checking for any area outages.

Do you currently have any WiFi boosters or Pods?

Has there been any improvement in speeds since posting?

Please pop back to us here when you can.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi @Vikki_M, I don't think it is wifi problem as I am standing next to the router. I need to get a cat6 cable and do some testing, but I might be using an xbox one s. As an example I am getting 250 over WiFi next to the router right now so no issues. I use a home plug to improve coverage around the house.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Storm77, 

Thank you for getting back to us. 

Does the additional equipment help to improve the signal within the area of your home that it is installed? 

On checking your account, your Hub is running within specification but the system does recommend adding WiFi POD's to your package. 

More information can be found here

Thanks 

Nat