cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

mahutchinson
Tuning in

Just noticed that my discount period has ended and in May bill went up to around £75 for 200 Mb Broadband, TV and phone. In June it went up again to around £95 and has stayed there. Some of my speeds this year have been 11.46 Mb/s (13 Jan), 21.90 Mb/s (23 Feb), 0.68 Mb/s (21 May), 0.49 Mb/s (20 Jun), 8.39 Mb/s (8 Jul) and 1.71 Mb/s (7 Aug). This is way worse than I was getting on the 100Mb service. I think I've only seen the speed over 100 Mb a couple of times. I just did a test on here and it tells me my hub needs re-setting as it is in modem mode and this could cause issues. I have been using that mode as the wi-fi was so poor using the Virgin router. What issues could be caused by modem mode ? I have read a number of times of people claiming that Virgin deliberately scupper the speed when you use modem mode and re-route your broadband via a slower server.  

20 REPLIES 20

Hi @mahutchinson thanks a lot for your reply and confirmation.

Okay so it does seem like you are getting the speeds directly to your Hub, as you can obtain this with a wired connection in Router Mode.

We unfortunately however, don't guarantee wifi speeds as there can be many external factors that influence this - we also can't be responsible when there are third party devices involved (such as TP-Link adaptors) as these can affect the speeds too

I've ran some checks for you though, and all the speeds are going directly to your Hub and all the levels to your Hub within specifications.

Perhaps you might be interested in our Intelligent Wifi Pods? They would be an alternative to your TP-Link adaptors, and not to be used with them. They are £5 per month if you aren't on a Volt bundle, or free of charge if you are - please let me know either way.

Many thanks

Tom_W