Menu
Craig75
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

The people who pay for 350mb speed do you actually get anywhere near that I struggle to get 100 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed

Is the device you are using for the tests... gigabit enabled, booted into safe mode, and connected directly to the Hub by a Cat6a ethernet cable? If not try that.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yup. Drops to about 300 occasionally during peak times but that could be other people in the house using the connection. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Dialled in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes.

PC in normal mode.

Testing through a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router with Cat 7 RJ45 cable.

Hub 3 is in Modem mode.

It once fell to just over 3 Mbs so I re-booted the whole system and it was straight back up again.

0 Kudos
jpinkert
Just joined
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

While I think your advice is correct, I also think that it is only good for a baseline.   It would be much better if the marketing folks would wise up a sell a service based on reality usage.   If you say I'm going to get 200Mb then I should be able to get that under a somewhat normal situation.  i.e.  A single system running normally.  Yes one might need the proper connection such as Cat6a but should not have to be in safe mode or connected directly to a hub.   If I cannot get the advertised speeds where I do my work in the conditions I use my equipment than it really is not providing what I'm paying for.   I'd be happier with advertising that I'm getting 100Mb and having an infrastructure that supports what is required to deliver that to me consistently and reliably rather then me having to constantly check for issues and be told there are none.     As I type this, I am getting a 2Mb upload but paying for 12Mb.  I know there is an issue someplace outside of my home but the typical response from Virgin is that there is no issue then magically it goes away with no changes in my network.    I realize that there are always random issues and I write it off to that on the off occasion like I've been having the last two days, but I do know that my downloads speeds fluctuate all the time and on average are well below the speed advertised to me when selling the service.  

Again, from a pure testing perspective to rule out the home having an issue I agree with your advice 100%, but most of the issues I would believe to be outside of the home.  Also a good quick step is to just simply restart the router an test again first then move on to your step, and finally ring up Virgin.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

testing in safemode is to test its not your hardware.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Dialled in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Craig75 wrote:

The people who pay for 350mb speed do you actually get anywhere near that I struggle to get 100 

Consistently max out my VIVID 350 regardless of the time of day here, if you're struggling to get 100mbps you should raise a fault.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@DreamOfCheese wrote:

Consistently max out my VIVID 350 regardless of the time of day here, if you're struggling to get 100mbps you should raise a fault.

Might not be a fault - they might have traffic management software or antivirus software running (or summat else) that is slowing the speeds down.  There are well  documented examples of those on here - hence the "safe mode test" experiment.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

True, and last week he posted saying he only got "up to the 140 mark" hard wired to his PC, so what he's said has gone down too.

Testing with another device and with the PC in safe mode would be a good idea.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig75

Welcome to the forums.

I can see you've had some support on this from he community which is fab Smiley Very Happy

Can you let us know if you're still experiencing issues as when I've run some checks on the system everything looks good our end.

Have you tried any of the tests the community have suggested?

If not can you try the connection with another device, and ensure the equipment is enabled to get the best from our top speeds by being able to cope with this. It would need a 1Gb apdaptor at least to do so and a Cat5 (or 6 preferably), Ethernet cable.

Checking this in Modem Mode will eliminate the equipment as being the cause of the issue too so hopefully if you've been able to test this this will help shed some light here.

Speak soon!

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos