cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

Ant18
Joining in

I have 200mb Broadband but speed tests indicates 60-80mb is this the norm I can expect.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is that over a wifi or ethernet cable connection?

If wifi try on ethernet.

If ethernet - change the cable and check the NIC speed setting is 1GB and not 100Mbps

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John, My super hub 2 is in modem mote I have a netgear orbi for wifi around the house, Its just a speed thing I only get 80mb at best over wifi. but should be 200mb. Do I need a new router from VM.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Probably not... plug a known good Cat5e/6 ethernet cable into the port on the first Orbi unit and put a 1GB enabled laptop/computer on the end of it and test at

https://speedtest.samknows.com/

- try on 2 different browsers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John, Just tested with ethernet cable I get 85mb and that's it, is that normal?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No it suggests something is limiting the speed to 10/100.

Usual suspects are a failing ethernet cable (I have had several). NIC card defaulted to 100 - check settings. Windows 10 has "energy efficient internet" enabled (see settings), some QoS running on the laptop, or some setting in the Orbi that is restricting speed to that device etc...

Do it this way next...

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------