cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

Richard_Fairman
Joining in

I have a Virgin Volt M350 Fibre Broadband account, minimum guaranteed speed 181Mbps. The FASTEST speed I have ever obtained is 32Mbps. Tested just now at 23Mbps. There is no link showing for the Virgin Media Messenger Service for LiveChat, The Virgin Media Complaints service directs to WhatsApp (which I don't use) or shuts down. Does Virgin offer the money back?

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok - can you test speeds like this first

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.
So, can you test speeds directly like this. If you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets. There was one thread on here earlier this week where a 1GB customer was getting terrible speeds - they booted into S+N mode and speeds went straight to 980Mbps. Something on the PC was limiting them

See message 6 here...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/WiFi-Achieving-faster-speeds-than-Ethernet/...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for your help. Reading your advice, it occurred to me that I could run a speed test on my iPad as well as the PC. It came in at 305 Mb/s, which is obviously way faster. From your experience what is the first thing I should check on the PC which could make such a big difference? Thanks.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I dont use PC's I am Macs only.

What speed does the PC get when you connect it on an ethernet cable? Get a 10/20/50 metre run of Cat5e/6a cable (cheap!) and just lay it on the floor for testing purposes.

Look in the PC's settiings/network and see what the connection speed is set to - should be 1GB not 100Mbps

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.