cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

Maud24768
Joining in

I pay for virgin M350 and keep getting buffering on my TV. I have just done a speed test on my mobile phone wi fi. The download speed is 3.8mbps and upload 0.8. We currently have 1 tv 2 mobiles and a laptop connected. I have contacted virgin previously and keep getting told there is nothing wrong we the speed I am getting to the house. Does this seem right to you?

9 REPLIES 9

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The broadband speed to the house is what you pay for. The speed on WiFi inside the house is a very different matter and depends on many local factors - although there are various ways of improving it.

What speed do you get on a device connected by an ethernet cable?  This is the only valid speed test.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

So how do I improve wi fi in the house. It seems silly to pay so much for internet and then get barely average speeds

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately, faster broadband doesn't automatically mean faster WiFi. And the Virgin Hubs are not known for great performance.  There is advice here on how to improve the WiFi with the basic Hub.

But if you want solid coverage throughout the house you may have to invest in an additional device.  If you browse around this forum you will find lots of discussion on suitable devices.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi @Maud24768 

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues streaming on your TV at this time. 

I have checked our systems and can see that there are some power level issues out of spec that will need an engineer to attend, this issue will certainly not be helping the overall WiFi performance, so hopefully, with this resolved, you'll see an improvement in your streaming experience. You might find though that you still need boosters if this area has a poor coverage. Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and book you the earliest tech available. You can see your private messages at the top of the page in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I replied to your message but you haven’t got back to me about getting an engineer out 

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks so much for joining me on private message @Maud24768, I have now booked you a visit for your speed issue – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Here to help 🙂
Carley

I cannot see how to change the appointment on the app. 

we all work and that is short notice for time off of work.

you have said about charges but you told me that the issues were showing your end. Can you confirm that there will not be an additional charge

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I see you haven't received an official answer yet. But you are quite correct that you should not have to pay since it was Virgin's decision to visit based on the signal levels in their equipment.

I can't help with the date I'm afraid. Hopefully you will get some help with that before long. Or you could try phoning customer services if you have the time to spare. 

- jpeg1

Hi @Maud24768

Sorry that this time is not suitable for you and you have not been able to manage the appointment online. I have checked our systems and can see that you have already been in contact with us to reschedule the appointment. Please let us know if you do need to reschedule again this week for any reason and we can do this for you. 

There can still be a charge for the appointment if it is missed by yourself and if you are using cabling/equipment not installed by Virgin Media, such as coaxial cabling or attenuators you have fitted yourself that can affect power levels. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley