cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed using Ethernet wired CAT 8 top end

Anonymous
Not applicable

Broadband speed should be 350mbps.. For 3 days in a row it has not been able to get close to 200mbps.. I'm using wired Ethernet CAT 8 top of the range cable connected to my XBOX ONE and the Virgin Hub 3. It is disgusting that this is happening. I contacted you lot last month because of this same issue.. And you have the cheek to send me an email telling me that you're putting up my Bill.. That's last Month and this Month this has happened and it's extremely annoying.

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Console speed tests are notoriously inaccurate (so my lad tells me) so test it on a computer or laptop and test it that way - with the Hub put into modem mode. Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into windows safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I'm new to this social section through Virgin.. I appreciate your help. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This issue has become a constant problem, the speed of the broadband is absolutely disgusting. This right now as I'm sending this message is the off peak time. I can barely reach the network speed of 180mbps, it hasn't gone any higher for hours. This isn't the first time, infact this has been a serious issue every month in 2021. I use an Ethernet connection that is top of the range cable CAT 8 and connects to my XBOX ONE. I have no problem with you raising your prices next month but I deserve the speed of my broadband as agreed in my contract with you. Nearly 3 months of disappointment. I understand that you can have issues at your end but this has become somewhat of a joke, perhaps it's not intentional from your point of view but it feels personal to me. I have been outstanding and always have my account paid on advance so that it never drops from being the minus amount. This is beyond an email with an apology, I have already received enough apologies, I believe that you should offer me some sort of compensation as you are not standing by your contractual agreement. If this was the other way around you would be making a big song and dance about it. Do you think that I really want to be having to create this email and be wasting my time going through this ridiculous circus of trying to get something done that would hold you to your contractual standard. If this is a personal thing and you're doing it because you want me to upgrade to a higher broadband mbps then have the courage and courtesy of contacting me and things can be discussed. This constant issue with my broadband speed is highly frustrating.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly but it's a learning curve, I'll get the hang of it.. This same issue when I first put the message in here is happening again and it's just wrong.. 

Cat8 means nothing as you won't be getting anywhere near the benefits of using such a high spec cable, cat6 would have been more than enough for your use and cheaper too. Are you on the m200 service? What speeds do you see when testing wired to the hub3 using a PC with a 1gb network connection, im assuming the hub3 is in router mode.

Please bear in mind when you post that the majority of forum members are not VM employees and are helping the community for free.

Anonymous
Not applicable

CAT 8 makes sure that Virgin can't blame the Ethernet. Plus who in the world is gaming on a CAT 5-7.. And who is using WiFi..

This same ISSUE has been at it all day.. 

Now is 180mbps.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I very much appreciate any help and advice. I am aware that it's community and not Virgin employees.. 

Give me a bit of time to get used to it and it won't seem so much of a complaint as it should be a question..

Thanks 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So what was the outcome on the speeds when you tested them as I suggested 2 weeks ago? And Ninjameekat also said?

I dont see the outcome please heed the advice given.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate that you are trying to help me and I absolutely appreciate it a lot.. I just can't be bothered to go on pc and run a test, I'm in a gaming mode and I'm on a proper sesh.. No disrespect but I know that am xbox one Series X doesn't give a true reading. But if they could keep the broadband connection above 250mbps I would find that okay. That's okay until they fixed it.. You know what I mean mate