cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed terrible

Carlacuskelly
Joining in

Virgin,

please answer the phone as I am needing someone to help with the terrible slow speeds I am experiencing since we installed our service.

been on the phone 1hr 20mins for support to get cut off!! 
literally losing the will to live! I knew I should of stayed with Vodafone!!!

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you checked if there is a known fault. As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

When yiou say "slow speeds" is that on both ethernet cable and wifi connected devices? If you dont know - can you check?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have checked for known faults it says none in my area! 
checked broadband comes back as great! 

it is on Wi-Fi but I’m in the room with the hub it is in a clear open space and not blocked anyway! 

haven’t checked Ethernet because my tv,iPad and iPhone don’t support an Ethernet cable! 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it and what are the various lights on it showing/doing when this happens.

This is worth a try....

Do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box (no “staples, etc.,) piercing the cables.

Then, do a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 (a timed sixty) seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.