Menu
Palazzo
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed remains throttled after fault resolved

Hi,

I've been suffering for the last 7-8 months with poor speeds, which Virgin had ackowledged under reference F005155755.

While the fault has been outstanding my broadband was throttled by Virgin to a flat 40 Mbps (from my contracted 200 Mbps)

The fault was due for review yesterday, and I was infirmed today that it's been resolved.

On testing today it appears the 40Mbps limit is still in place.

Do I have to do anything to get this limit removed so I can take advantage of any speed improvements that are now available?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband speed remains throttled after fault resolved

If you can never achieve over 40Mbps then you have a different problem, besides the (apparently resolved) utilisation. 

A utilisation fault would cause speeds to drop off-peak, but you should have still got full speed at other times.

A 40Mb cap suggests some sort of hardware or WiFi cap. Are you testing wired or wireless, and what device(s) are you testing on?

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you tried it without your own router in situ?

and are the lights where the network cable plugs into the PC and Hub yellow or green

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM don’t cap. If you’ve never breached 40Mbs then that’s pointing to your own hardware:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos

All Replies
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you can never achieve over 40Mbps then you have a different problem, besides the (apparently resolved) utilisation. 

A utilisation fault would cause speeds to drop off-peak, but you should have still got full speed at other times.

A 40Mb cap suggests some sort of hardware or WiFi cap. Are you testing wired or wireless, and what device(s) are you testing on?

0 Kudos
Palazzo
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I've been getting a flat 40Mbps over most of the last 8 months while the fault has been outstanding, so I've assumed they've restricted all users in the area to a similar rate while they try and reduce the contention.

I'm testing on a pc with a wired connection via my own router, with the super hub in modem mode.

I just think they've forgotten to take the cap off.

I used to get close to 200Mbps before all the problems started, so I don't think my setup is holding me back.
0 Kudos
Palazzo
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Have rebooted the Superhub and confirmed I'm still restricted to a flat 40Mbps at the moment.

Is there still a fault in my area?

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you tried it without your own router in situ?

and are the lights where the network cable plugs into the PC and Hub yellow or green

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM don’t cap. If you’ve never breached 40Mbs then that’s pointing to your own hardware:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
SouthWaleschris
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Try upgrading the firmware on your router and if this doesn't work try disconnecting the router and just running the hub alone.

Other things u could try are upgrading the Ethernet port drivers and also try different Ethernet cables.

Where ever you maybe.... Let your wind go free!

"So in retrospect the best cable to get is cat6e"
0 Kudos
Palazzo
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep. Interesting. Get a rock solid 40mbps via router (and have done for months) but around 70mbps via the superhub in modem mode modem directly. I don't think I've ever tested the direct connection speed.

So that obviously points to the router (Linksys wrt1900acs with the regular Linksys firmware).

Thing is, I've never set it to restrict traffic (not sure how without some research) and pretty sure it was giving me circa 200mbps before all this trouble started.

I'll look into it further.
0 Kudos
Palazzo
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Aha...... found the solution.

I had the Media Prioritisation featured turned on the WRT1900ACS router AND it had a downstream bandwidth setting of 40mbps.

Looks like that bandwidth setting is either the limit for non-prioritised devices or all devices, and looks like it was assigned dynamically when I set the prioritisation on. I can tell because if I turn if off and on again, it now sets it to 100Mbps, so it looks like the software checks the available speed and sets the limit accordingly.

Anyway, switching off Media Prioritisation, I now get 120/130 Mbps - not yet 200, but at least heading in the right direction.

Thanks for the help guys.

0 Kudos