Menu
chrisG4
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed not matching package

Since the first week of March 2020 I have happily paid for the M200 broadband service to which I was uprated when renegotiating my contract. However my broadband speed has never reached the 200+Mbps it promises despite regular checking over the last couple of months.

Finally on 05.06.20 I requested and received an engineer's visit. It turned out that I was connected to the wrong street address which the engineer subsequently corrected but said there was a also a network fault which a network engineer came to correct the next day.

However my speed is still only around 90 Mbps and often lower.

I have attempted to message yourselves several times which resulted in long waits to be transferred to an engineer before the window closed.

In the last of my follow-up 150 telephone calls, I was told I needed to replace my Cat5e cable with a Cat6 cable in order to receive the higher speed. A cable was sent which I have installed but with absolutely no change resulting to my speed.

Frustrated by lengthy waits online and unhelpful 150 phone calls, I am hoping this post will bring about a positive response and hopefully a potential solution.

I know your guys are stretched at the moment as a result of the pandemic but there is obviously something wrong with my set-up and I'd appreciate some expert help.

0 Kudos
dejabrew
Tuning in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed not matching package

Much like yourself I've been having no end of issues with Virgin Media recently, from when I renegotiated my package I only went for the 150 package. But I've been getting consistently awful speeds. As little as 5-7Mb sometimes.

I've called Virgin Media no end of times and nothing ever comes of it. They don't even send an engineer out. Seems to me customer service has gone out the window. (This was going on long before Covid 19 too) so that's not even an excuse!

Hope you get sorted soon.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Are you wired directly to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
chrisG4
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes, Gary. I am.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

From what device and what spec cable?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
chrisG4
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Windows 10 64-bit, Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, 4.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series PC with a brand-new CAT6 cable courtesy of Virgin who suggested the CAT5e cable I was originally using was causing the low speeds!

0 Kudos
chrisG4
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hope you get sorted soon too. I'll post my results on here to keep everyone up to date.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Can you check in
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections
Your Ethernet is at 1Gb

Do you have a SSD or HDD?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
chrisG4
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet speed: 100Mbps & HDD

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So yes your NIC only has 100Mb so you never get 200Mb unless the link speed is 1Gb so you could buy a 1Gb NIC for your PC or time for a new PC.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos