cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband slower after upgrade to M500

mightymouse
Tuning in

I contacted virgin rep who basically said because it didnt say Gigabit in my device manager i couldnt get the 500mb broadband and should go out and buy a network card?>>>

Idiot. I informed him i have a new motherboard fully capable of speeds needed and also produced many pictures showing him this. He still insisted i should go out and buy a network card.

I again showed picture of speed i could get in device manager but he just wouldnt have it and told me i can only get 100mb?? Im like are you insane i had 200mb broadband 3 days ago and got speeds of 230mb so wth are you talking about.

He said i also need a Cat 6 cable to which i said i have a CAt 7!! My PC is up to date with newest tech and 1000% capable of running 500mb broadband.

I have run speed tests and have reached 531mb one time, then 200mb a bunch of times but normally 130mb which is WAAAAY below speeds im paying for.

Can anyone advise what to do as the tech guy was sodding useless and talked to me like i was 5 years old, i build my own pcs etc for many years so i know it is something Virgins end as i have lots of log errors in HUb 3 menu but he wasnt interested in this.

I have also checked Duplex/Speed it is full at 1gbpsvirgin2.pngvirgin3.png

39 REPLIES 39

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Seems I have same issue and this is not only thread on near same topic and other that got upgrade from 100Mb to 200Mb but are slower.

WIRED or WIFI I got 385Mb/s (350Mb Tier) 99% of the time in any good speed test site/app and real downloads and at end of day one of 500Mb/s upgrade last week I started to see slower speeds than old Tier like 50-250Mb/s mostly and right now hitting a Max of 385Mb/s at 4am ALL WIRED.

On WIFI I have hit 550+Mb once on PC the other day, where as my PC and Nvidia Shield TV (both are used WIRED but can use WIFI also) and Mobile phone could all hit 385Mb/s before 99% of time.

Checked and changed a few setting back and forth in HUB3, all devices are WIFI 5 AC or WIFI 6AX.

I wonder if the HUB is struggling to handle the speed as some think its on limit for the new 600Mb/s Tier, it may have well over 500Mb/s in specs but can the CPU handle it esp. after offloading things to other chips through Firmware update to hide the latency issue of the flawed Puma chipset.

I will run a fan next to it to see if it is heat later today.

HI jhuk, thanks for the message and we are sorry to hear that you are having issues with the broadband, how is the service at the moment? How did the test go. We have checked the area and cannot see any outages. Please let us know if you need anything ^Chris 

I was on M350 and I had no issues with speed until I upgraded to M500.

My wired speeds would be in excess of 500/36 then randomly change to 90/36 and my wifi speeds would be always >450MB.

I changed my NETGEAR AX11000 WIFI 6 router 3 times and the wired speed would still fluctuate.

I upgraded the driver for the integrated NIC on my Dell XPS 8700 but it made no difference.

The integrated NIC/ethernet port on the motherboard was the problem so I disabled it and bought an ethernet card.

Since installing the new card ALL of my wired speed tests are in excess of 500/36.

Cheers for the update, Bigdrumz.

Having similar issues after upgrading today. May I ask which ethernet card you bought?.

I got the one below, probably a bit of an overkill but I’m guessing that any 1 gb card should be ok. Just make sure that you have a free PCIE slot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Y2GWVB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

History seemed to repeat itself.
I recently upgraded to 1gb and encountered the same problem with download speeds to my PC. I was getting 90mb d/l speed after upgrading and was baffled. I checked the settings on the NIC and changed it to 1gb full duplex which temporarily fixed the problem but after a while it default back 90mb.

I plugged out the ethernet cable from the NIC for a minute then plugged it back in and since then I’ve been getting the full 1gb d/l speed.

Maybe I didn’t need to upgrade the network card after all

GlobeFarm66
Joining in

Having the same issue as others on this thread.  Had a M300 package and receiving speeds in excess of 300mbps and having upgraded to M500 package I can now only get around 150mpbs with regularity.

This is from wireless connection but right next to the router - the same way in which I was able to achieve 300+ before.

Been through the reset and unplug processes suggested by customer services and no difference.  I've spent hours on the phone on hold and being passed to and fro.  It's clearly a recognised issue for the M500 package, as has actually been admitted to some of the people on this thread.  

Paying for the last 2 months for an inferior service - I should really get a refund for the period but obviously that will never be offered.

I'm quite happy to cancel subscription and will be on Monday if it doesn't get sorted by then. Service at VM has been taken for granted over the last few years. There are others coming to market now though, so they'll have to sort themselves out.  I'll be heading to BT on Monday.

After reading this thread, I updated my existing network adaptor Driver via Windows Device Manager.

Then, on retesting my speed, I was hitting 500mbs so, happy now.

Thanks for the original post.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @KingerUK,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! I'm glad to hear that you have been able to have this issue resolved and that you're receiving the correct speeds. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance with anything we'll be more than happy to help! 🙂

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs