cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband slower after upgrade to M500

mightymouse
Tuning in

I contacted virgin rep who basically said because it didnt say Gigabit in my device manager i couldnt get the 500mb broadband and should go out and buy a network card?>>>

Idiot. I informed him i have a new motherboard fully capable of speeds needed and also produced many pictures showing him this. He still insisted i should go out and buy a network card.

I again showed picture of speed i could get in device manager but he just wouldnt have it and told me i can only get 100mb?? Im like are you insane i had 200mb broadband 3 days ago and got speeds of 230mb so wth are you talking about.

He said i also need a Cat 6 cable to which i said i have a CAt 7!! My PC is up to date with newest tech and 1000% capable of running 500mb broadband.

I have run speed tests and have reached 531mb one time, then 200mb a bunch of times but normally 130mb which is WAAAAY below speeds im paying for.

Can anyone advise what to do as the tech guy was sodding useless and talked to me like i was 5 years old, i build my own pcs etc for many years so i know it is something Virgins end as i have lots of log errors in HUb 3 menu but he wasnt interested in this.

I have also checked Duplex/Speed it is full at 1gbpsvirgin2.pngvirgin3.png

39 REPLIES 39

After 4 weeks my internet is still slow. I am getting MAX 200mb if im lucky, normally 90-150mb when im paying for 500Mbps.

I have put computer in safe mode and run every conceivable test and still slow. I have tried different ethernet cables all Cat 5-6-7 tried different ports. reinstalled PC and tried different drivers. Im literally at the end of my tether. Ive pretty much had enough. I already have 2 complaints outstanding to which no one has bothered to call me about. Basically just get me to sign up for a year to new service then let me rot.11.png222.png3333.pngproset.png17thJuly.pngslowslowslow.pngJust to show i have reached correct speed ONE TIMEJust to show i have reached correct speed ONE TIME

When i run Virgins test it says "no issue" so why can i obviously hit almost 500Mbps ONCE but for 4 weeks i get under 200Mbps.

I need an engineer to look at this as speaking in live chat after showing them all the proof i have of slow speeds, all i get is "get a network card"!!!!!

I DONT NEED ONE!!!! I just want my internet to work as it is supposed to. If anyone can point me in direction of how to take this further up the chain as by time i get home i speak to someone in India or something who sorry to say just hasnt a damn clue about my issue or any idea how to help.

Someone PLEASE PLEASE help

Just ran again this morning and still 140Mbps

Hello mightymouse,

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards 
Gareth_L

This Morning. Still haven't heard from anyone. Tried every browser reset everything, again multiple cables. Even unplugged everything and moved to different power point. I think it may be time to just cancel contract with Virgin. They say if your on highest tier they will send tech guy out and i havent seen anyone or heard from anyone. Its just insane. 

19thjuly.jpgA

and even with boosters my Phone Wifi upstairs just hardly connects. Everything is just Slow Slow Slow.

july19.jpgJuly19v2.jpgJuly19v2.pngjuly19v4.jpgjuly19v5.jpgjuly19v6.png

I am suffering similar headache. I am on the Vivid 200 package and have always had between 212 and 215Mbps download speed and around 12Mbps upload speed. I run a monthly speed test on Ookla and when I did it a few days back I noticed that my upload speed had increased to 19-20Mbps but my download speed has decreased to a maximum of 150Mbps and if I do several one after the other I get variations on the download speed from 68-150Mbps but always the same 19-20Mbps upload speed.

While researching this I came across a link saying that VM had upgraded all users uploads to 10% of their download speed which explains the rise in upload but not the decrease in Download speed. Prior to contacting Virgin today I shut off and rebooted the whole system without any change in the matter. The first phone reply told me that they would do a quick check on my connection and when this was finished said there was a problem and put me through to a human tech who did some invisible moves at his end and told me to reboot and it would be fixed but it wasn't so back to second human tech who after trying to check out my system asked me to reset the box wait around 20mins unplug and replug both ends of my Cat7 cable and that would do it. No, it didn't and on restarting found I had to reset all the relevant passwords on my superhub 3 as well.

Back to India again where my third human tech a very polite young lady but who wasn't really interested in helping at all until I had given her even more security details that the other two didn't ask for. On giving her the relevant details she then wanted me to change my account password online to her which I flatly refused, next she wanted my Virgin Mobile details which I again refused as that had nothing to do with the problem I was having. After approximately 45 mins of this back and foreing she eventually got to my problem and just wanted to repeat all the steps the previous two techs had tried. I was polite the whole time and attempted to explain that it really would be best if she arranged an engineer home visit to check out my Superhub 3 but this just set her onto another list of obfuscations and by now it was pretty obvious that there was no chance of a home visit.

After coming here and finding this post I suspect we are not alone and Virgin are probably aware of this problem and as it would likely cause a backlog with the home engineers rather than address the problem just ignore it because let's face until the other companies catch up we are really being held at ransom in my opinion.

I live in the NE of England and have been with Virgin since before it was Virgin, around 20+yrs or so now and can honestly that at present no other provider can supply the same level of broadband but the quality of help from them has been going downhill for years and as soon as the other providers can offer a workable broadband service for my needs I am off and from the regular list of complaints found online and at these forums I don't think I will be alone. The vast amount of new televisions being made have net access/LAN connections to all the catch up stations, Netflix, Amazon etc therefore I personally really have no need for tv and landline phone bundles just to get a broadband service but of course as I found out before signing my present contract 2yrs ago it is cheaper to have a bundle than just broadband on its own. I personally just want a decent broadband connection and think that the days of bundles and the BBC license fees are hopefully on the way out.

Now logged official complaint as getting no response from Virgin whatsoever.

Terrible service totally unbelievable.

Hello mightymouse,

Just a quick message to see how things are after the engineers visit 

Fingers crossed we managed to find out what the issue was 

Look forward to your response 

Gareth_L

for what it's worth - exactly the same here. upgraded to 500mb 1 1/2 months ago.

reached 530 speed on exactly one day out of these months. (which proves it has nothing to do with our setup.) any other time it's usually around 160 max.

that one time it hit (and surpassed) 500 was basically during a callback of a virgin guy after a week-long, tedious sms dialogue. suddenly speedtests showed 530.

next day itself it was back to 150-160.

have wasted so much time on phone holds and useless sms chats (in which the replies always come days later & when you're the furthest away from home), and had it with so-called engineers telling me it's to do with my connection and the wireless - if it had to do with the wireless vs wired connection,then how did it reach 530 - on different browsers and different laptops - on the day the engineer called ???

the few times i had to call bt because of net problems, they were always ready to give a discount or even send a compensation. i'm paying virgin 4x as much, but they seem to be deaf dumb blind to the existence of the word compensation, all you get is generic to condescending statements putting the blame on you, if you have the breath to even get through to anyone. absolute ripoff and terrible customer experience.

did your net speed issue ever get solved ??

Hi clearlyl,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post. 

I am very sorry to hear about the previous experiences you've had concerning your broadband, 

Is the speed you're getting just on a Wireless connection or on a Wired connection too?

Do you have any boosters in the property?

^Martin

previous tests were over wireless, usually done in the afternoon or evening. have since sourced a device with ethernet port and just ran a few tests, late morning for the record.

wired connection showed speed of 430, wireless read 249 and 218, with the device just half a meter unobstructed from the router.

that incident when we actually saw speeds of 530 was through a wireless connection.

will monitor further.