cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband really slow, almost unusable for gaming

brizoh71
Tuning in

We've been having some speed issues with our Virgin Media broadband and I'm not getting anywhere near the speed I'm paying for.

My son is an Xbox gamer and in recent weeks he has been complaining about lag spikes both over wi-fi and when I've cabled him into the router via a powerline.

Even moving the Xbox into the same room as the router hasn't made a difference and his games have reached the point where they are almost unplayable due to lag spikes and random disconnections.

I'm paying for M350 fibre broadband, but the speeds I'm seeing via Speedtest.net are nothing like what I would expect pinging three different servers. Using the VM diagnostic it appears there's a problem and to check back in 24 hours, every 24 hours and every time I run it. These results are obviously from my PC, but the Xbox speeds aren't much better when I run tests through it. 

What's going on? Why aren't I receiving the speeds I'm paying for? Maybe I should just cancel and try another ISP if the VM network is being overloaded in my area? I've tried a hard reset of the router, different cables and every other potential 'fix' I can think of.

speedtest3.pngspeedtest2.pngspeedtest1.png

11 REPLIES 11

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi brizoh71, 

Thank you for getting back to us and providing the images of your BQM. 

I would like to take a look at your account from our side so I am going to pop you over a private message to confirm a few details.  I will send this now and you will be able to access this via the purple envelope on the top right of the page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

VM have checked the connection at their end and say all is normal.

"I have taken a look at the account and the equipment does appear to be running within specification with no error found. " .. the BQM and speedtests tell a different story.

I've asked for a replacement hub in order to try and rule out a fault there but whether I get one is another story. After that it will need to be engineer investigation. In the meantime I'll continue to pay through the teeth for the fraction of the speed I *should* be getting...

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media BH