cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband really slow, almost unusable for gaming

brizoh71
Tuning in

We've been having some speed issues with our Virgin Media broadband and I'm not getting anywhere near the speed I'm paying for.

My son is an Xbox gamer and in recent weeks he has been complaining about lag spikes both over wi-fi and when I've cabled him into the router via a powerline.

Even moving the Xbox into the same room as the router hasn't made a difference and his games have reached the point where they are almost unplayable due to lag spikes and random disconnections.

I'm paying for M350 fibre broadband, but the speeds I'm seeing via Speedtest.net are nothing like what I would expect pinging three different servers. Using the VM diagnostic it appears there's a problem and to check back in 24 hours, every 24 hours and every time I run it. These results are obviously from my PC, but the Xbox speeds aren't much better when I run tests through it. 

What's going on? Why aren't I receiving the speeds I'm paying for? Maybe I should just cancel and try another ISP if the VM network is being overloaded in my area? I've tried a hard reset of the router, different cables and every other potential 'fix' I can think of.

speedtest3.pngspeedtest2.pngspeedtest1.png

11 REPLIES 11

brizoh71
Tuning in

brizoh71_0-1650578128392.png

Speed test via Samknows... 

router11.pngrouter10.pngrouter9.pngrouter8.pngrouter7.pngrouter6.pngrouter5.pngrouter4.pngrouter3.pngrouter2.pngrouter1.png

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @brizoh71,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your broadband, I can understand that this is frustrating for you.

Can you please tell me if you have the Hub in modem mode? Also are you using any 3rd party routers?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley,

No the Hub 3.0 is not in modem mode; the speedtests have been conducted using a wired connection between my PC and the hub at a distance of 2m using new Cat6a cables. I used a clean browser for the test with no add-ons and any other devices, wired or wi-fi were disconnected.

I've tried a pinhole reset, played with cables, ensured my system is using the correct drivers and tweaked every setting I can possibly think of all to no avail. There is seemingly an issue in my area at present but these poor speeds, lag spikes and random disconnections have been going on for more than a week now and there's been no previous mention of any faults.

Earlier this afternoon I set up a BQM on Thinkbroadband; here's the current graph as of 2230hrs on Friday 22 April.

Now, I don't claim to understand what all this means, but looking at others' graphs in other threads on here there's waaaay too much yellow and red on mine by comparison.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media BH

I've also run a speed test via their tool...

My Broadband Speed Test

And for comparison here's a speed test I performed around this time twelve months ago on the same package and service so you can see the difference. Now tell me there isn't a problem somewhere... 

My Broadband Speed Test

You have a nasty amount of 'packet loss', you will most likely need an engineer.

It's not looking good and you most defiantly have a problem either on you property or further upstream.

All you can do is check the connections to the hub and turn it off and on again, the rest is up to virgin to resolve.

Oh and the power levels from the stats you uploaded look fine.

It may just be a loose/corroded connector but it also could be a bigger problem effecting everyone connected to your green box.

You could try the automated service status number: 0800 561 0061

Thanks pal, appreciated.

Looks even worse today..

Thanks pal, appreciated. 

Looks even worse today...

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media BH

Thats a poor connection, very poor.

I'll poke VM and see what they can arrange.