Menu
Sam55
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband prices

I have only broadband with Virgin, an old router, get M 50 and in September I will be paying £37. Is this fair?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband prices

£37 is the current price:

E109FEE7-E87D-4206-83EB-2F30529BB460.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sam55
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

from Sam 55

Thank you for your reply.  It does seem a lot of money for the speed and the old router.   I will probably look elsewhere for a better package.  New customers get a better deal but I have been fed up for some time with Virgin's regular price increases. Since I became a customer the price has increased by 270%.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

your not a new customer. move to another ISP for new customer deals

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Or better still move to an ISP that doesn't operate a "bait and switch" customer model based on attractive introductory prices that then escalate dramatically, whilst all the effort goes into marketing and customer service is the worst they can get away with.

Try Zen Internet - their Openreach FTTC deals offering up to 73 Mbps are only £39 a month, and cheaper still if you don't want a phone line (I think £32 or so).

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Sam55 wrote:

from Sam 55

Thank you for your reply.  It does seem a lot of money for the speed and the old router.

If you have the old SH1 there is a free replacement initiative running.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/hub-swap.html?buspart=uk_app_connect2_hubswap

If you get the - "Ooops - please call" message – then when you call, go through options 1,1,4,5 - to get through to retentions - you will get a UK based person who should at least know about the deal - no-one seems to have informed the "offshore" lot about it yet !  It may be that you aren’t eligible and they will want to charge you - do not accept that - come back here.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Wildfruit
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Call 150 and try your luck. For 8 years I had virgin I batted off nearly every price rise with a quick phone call. When the time came when I couldn’t do it one year I cancelled. Went to sky. 2 weeks after sky installed had call from virgin saying I could recontract at my previous price. It’s just a business game. You have to play it. After a year of having a bit line with the sky, went back to virgin broadband. Kept new customer price for over 2 years. If you can’t recontract to your liking you have to move with the market.  Best of luck

2x V6
Maxit TV
Sky sports & Movies
500/38 mb
Unlimited sim
Talk more anytime
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Sam55 wrote:

I have only broadband with Virgin, an old router, get M 50 and in September I will be paying £37. Is this fair?

It might be the current price but you can always call retentions - they will sign you up for a new deal with a new contract quite happily - I used to pay £41 for 350 so the current prices really are steep. You might be able to get 80/20 from another ISP for much less than your £37 - well you probably will - even the likes of Plusnet do it for £29,99 with phone line. 

You have the power!! as they say on the TV - and you do - VM won't just want to lose your custom. 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
your not a new customer. move to another ISP for new customer deals

Excellent response, and from a "Superuser" as well - "hey customer, sod off elsewhere to get a new deal", it's not like VM won't give you a new customer deal with a new contract....

Oh wait....

OP ignore this drivel - ring retentions as I said above. 

0 Kudos
groovysomething
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ReSmiley Surprisedld Router

You should not accept this if the router is not fit for purpose then they should change it free of charge, I come across this a lot as an It Engineer  its one of the most common problems I see. Some routers are more than 8 years old and drop signal from time to time, I think the price is terrible too just for Broadband and now gone up to £41.99 so I'm looking at leaving as they don't reward loyal customers just new ones. So my advise is get onto them and tell them your router is flaky and you need a new one, don't except any chargers for the new one, its their property so its up to them to fix it or replace it.

0 Kudos