cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not upgraded

johnathome
On our wavelength

I recently accepted an upgrade to 360 and maxit TV with an increase in BB speed to 350 from 100.

I received the remote and did the upgrade to maxit TV but my BB speed hasn't gone up.

I've restarted the router but still only getting 100mb.

Any ideas?

Edited to add my router stats are showing 24 download channels and the max speed is 402500089.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this post I made before...

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK looks like the upgrade has gone through.

If speeds are still at around 100 - thats suspicious of a failed ethernet cable, the NIC card negotiating at 10/100 rather than 1GB or on wifi connecting on the 2.4 GHz and not the 5GHz frequency band

How are you testing speeds - on what devices - wifi or ethernet - at what site?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Fast.com, using my phone and I'm getting about 70, I've got faster on this phone . I'm on chat with a tech and he's just sent the hit again, waiting for the router to boot back up. Once it has I'll check on my phone again and dig out a cable for my laptop.

The hit appears to have worked as I'm getting 130 but seems unstable as the next test gives me 95, the tech said it will improve over the next 24hrs, is that correct?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this post I made before...

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi johnathome,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to hear that you've upgraded but were not getting the desired speed for your internet.

As our valued member @jbrennand has already given some amazing advice to follow, can we ask if your speed has improved after following these instructions?

We have done a quick check from our end and the good news everything looks to be working as it should. All power levels are within specification, there are no SNR issues or area faults which is great. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards Jodi. 

johnathome
On our wavelength

Hi Jodi_S,

I do need some further help.

Apart from the brief time I managed 130Mb on Saturday my speed is no better than when I paid for 100Mb.

I tried several speed tests yesterday and today and I'm getting <80Mb, far off the 350Mb I'm paying for. It doesn't make a difference whether I'm wired or wifi.

I tried the faultfinder on the VM website and it reported no issues, you have confirmed that.

The upload speed is fine, I'm getting >30Mb.

My adaptor is an  Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230, this should be good up to 300Mb, certainly more than 100Mb.

Is there over utilisation in this area or does it need an engineer out to check the green box?

EDIT:  After checking the laptop specs I think it's a max 100Mb hardwired adaptor, although the wifi should be faster. When i get the time I'll run a speed test on the 4k stick to see what i get on that.

Regards

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I am not sure... and happy to be corrected, but if its 10/100 it will not get >100mbps on any single connection. If its rated at 300mbps then you can have up to x3 devices all going at ~100mbps or x6 connections all at ~50mbps - and so on.

I also recall earlier this year a lot of Windows users were reporting wifi issues on this device - just do a search and see if thats relevant

--------------------
John
--------------------

I understood the wifi was theoretically able to do 300 but should do over 100 anyway?

The ethernet is 100, even though i got 130 on Saturday.

Forget this thread.

Just tried on the 4k stick and I'm getting 300Mb.

I need a new laptop for Christmas 🙂