cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband intermittent

Getting_out
Tuning in

For the last 24 hours my broadband has been widely intermittent. I literally just ran a test and got 10.1Mbps when I got 189.2Mbps 10 minutes ago.

It's made streaming media impossible.

I've gone through Virgin "chat help" but the Bots were a complete waste of time.

Absolutely nothing has changed in my set up.

I've reset the hub but no difference.

Does anyone know the best way to resolve this as trying to talk to a real person at Virgin appears near impossible!

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

Getting_out
Tuning in

Just an addition to the above. I connected my computer to the hub and the speed was fast and consistent. I assume the hub WiFi is the issue.

How do I go about getting a replacement?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You may need to split the WiFi SSID, e.g. add -2 and -5 to the end of the name.  Also turn off Smart Optimisation for the WiFi.  This way you can manually connect your devices to the appropriate WiFi band and channel.  Use a WiFi analyser from Google Play Store to check your WiFI environment for best channels etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply but I've already done that.

The 5ghz band is working fine but the 2.4ghz is all over the place. 

This is not a new set up. Nothing in my environment has changed. I'm in a detached building with no new electronics. Both bands were working fine up to last week and have been for months.

I am waiting for Virgin tech to ring me back but I can only conclude it is a faulty router.

When you say you reset the Hub did you do a software reset via the browser dashboard or a pinhole reset from the rear of the Hub? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 10-15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection. 

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

I did a pinhole reset. The Virgin first level support, who I spoke to, also did a remote reset but neither made any difference.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Getting_out.

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry for the intermittent broadband that you have been having recently.

I was able to locate your account using your forums details, I can see that you have many devices connected to your Wi-Fi connection, can you try connecting some of these to your wired connection for me? Wired connection is more stable and usually has higher speeds for devices like a gaming console or a TV device.

Please let me know how it goes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks Haley but I have an engineer due to arrive in the next 2 hours.

Just for information, I have already tried connecting via ethernet and that does work. I have a mix of new and older tech. The new tech is working fine on the 5ghz band, it is only the older tech that uses the 2.4ghz band where I am having issues.

It's now not even that intermittent! The 2.4ghz band is rarely achieving more than 1mps.

Hopefully the engineer will identify the problem.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for this update @Getting_out.

Please do keep us updated on how the engineer visit goes 🙂

I do hope this helps.

Thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide