cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection

kjnealon
Joining in

Hi, got a upgrade to 1 gig broadband today so new hub arriving Friday. Remembered a while ago a technician from Virgin asking whether he could access my external box whilst installing at my neighbours. No problem to me but he then returned asking to run aside from my box to next door and that it would be temporary because he’d be back to remedy. Needless to say he has never been back. 
My query is whether this will impact my new 1 gig service with my connection piggy backed by the neighbour ? Can I, should I or indeed do I need to insist on the tech coming out to complete the work promised ?

9 REPLIES 9

kjnealon
Joining in

“Run a wire”

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sharing a connection will not affect your broadband. All VM connections are shared from the cabinet. It’s the way it’s designed to work. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @kjnealon thanks for reaching out and welcome to our community.

It is always preferable that our customers have their own connection and I am sure our team are looking to resolve this.  I thank @Adduxi for advising you.  The advice is correct.  If you do need further help please do give us a shout on here.  

Regards

Lee_R

ok, so box arrived yesterday and set up as the previous box was.

Hub 3 on 350 connection averaged  350 pretty much all the time. Disappointing that I am now averaging 450 and that’s being lenient! . This is well below guaranteed minimum on Gig 1.

Any clues ? 

@kjnealon wrote:

ok, so box arrived yesterday and set up as the previous box was.

Hub 3 on 350 connection averaged  350 pretty much all the time. Disappointing that I am now averaging 450 and that’s being lenient! . This is well below guaranteed minimum on Gig 1.

Any clues ? 

Could you run a test against the below site to check the speed getting to the HUB:

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Tried Sam knows, over a 1000 to hub not circa 300 from hub to device. Tried both WiFi and hard wire 

Not = “But”

ps: tried test WiFi to IPhone 12

amd hardwire to Lenovo Thinkpad L10 laptop

similar speeds averaging 300

@kjnealon wrote:

Tried Sam knows, over a 1000 to hub not circa 300 from hub to device. Tried both WiFi and hard wire 

Are you using a PC or laptop running Windows?

Try rebooting your device in safe mode (With Networking) and try another test?

Hi kjnealon, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and we're glad to see that the Hub is receiving the correct speeds. This at least rules out the issue being with the speeds being delivered. 

For now, we need to ensure the equipment is up to scratch so check the ethernet cable to ensure this is capable to 1GB speeds. Double check the network card on the PC/Laptop you are using too. Run any updates and make sure it's set to 1GB. 

Pop the device in safe mode with networking as suggested by carl_pearce and re-run the speed test. Pop the results back here. 

Once we can check the wired performance, we can then provide some selfcare links to help with optimising the WiFi performance. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs