cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband cable too short

mattymatt1980
On our wavelength

I’ve recently upgraded to the 1GB broadband from Virgin. I’m only getting 350Mb on average as the download speed - sometimes a bit more but most I’ve seen is 550MB. This is half the speed I’m paying for. In addition, the coaxial cable to my router installed by virgin engineers a few years back is really short and I need a longer cable to move the router to a better location. As an interim I have bought one off the internet but not getting the full speeds. I was wondering how I go about getting virgin to come and sort this for me as the cable length they originally installed is extremely short and I can’t put the router in the optimal position. I think this could be why I am not getting the advertised speed. Please advise. 

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Re the speeds... is the ~500 on an ethernet cable connection or wifi? If wifi then that is the maximum speed you will get on a wifi 5 router (Hub4) - if you connect 2 - they should each get ~500 = 1GB ! You need wifi6 equipment to get near to the 1GB

Re the cable you might get VM to supply you with a 3m CoAx cable as they do have them - but they may want to do a Tech visit for that as it "could" affect the power levels to the Hub

You are not permitted under the T&C's to use 3d party (inferior) cables as they can and do (as I have discovered myself) introduce noise into their Network which affects others connected in your location - if they discover that they are entitle to bill you for the cost of any repairs. 

Just get rid of it

The other option would be to leave the Hub where it is - put it into modem mode and get your own wifi6 router (for the faster wiffi speeds) and connect it where you want in the property with a run of ethernet cable

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

mattymatt1980
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply. Yes it’s on wifi. I wasn’t aware of that when I was sold the 1GB internet. Seems a bit of a waste of time if I can only get 500mb. Ok I’ve just taken the cable out and put it back with the very short virgin one and my speed it now about 100mb. Really disappointed with this. I think I could do with a technician to come and check it all for me to be honest as the cable is really short on it (which they put in a few years back). Is there a way to escalate this to a VM staff member on here to sort out do you know? 

staff will pick the tread up and book a tech - it would be classed as a non fault call out and cost you £25

you could do it a different way - leave your hub where it is and buy a 3rd party wifi router and site that in the best position - join it to the hub with a lan cable - put the hub into modem mode - not as cheap as the £25 but the wifi will be streets ahead of the hub wifi and you have control of where you put the new router and can move it if required

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are within 14 days of the upgrade you should be able to downgrade to the 500 package or even lower without any charges.

I dont understand re the coax cable. Are you saying that with the old VM coax cable you only get 100Mbps now - and if so is that on wifi or ethernet connections? And that increases to 500 when you swap to the 3d party cable? That doesnt make any sense to me... unless the old cable is faulty - did it get ~350 before? And why that would affect wifi speeds is beyond me

If thats the case call it in as faulty and see what they say

Afterthought:  You said you upgraded to 1GB - was that from a 350 package?  If so have you checked in the Hub's settings (configuration page) that the upgrade has actually been applied (occasionally it doesnt)?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Sorry John, I’ve just checked it again and it’s now up at 550ish again using Speedtest.net on my iPhone 11. Still could do with a longer cable though as it’s in a silly place. Not tried it with an Ethernet cable as not got much stuff near to the router. I was on the 200MB before and got sent a new Hub 4 today for the upgrade. 

@mattymatt1980 wrote:

Sorry John, I’ve just checked it again and it’s now up at 550ish again using Speedtest.net on my iPhone 11. Still could do with a longer cable though as it’s in a silly place. Not tried it with an Ethernet cable as not got much stuff near to the router. I was on the 200MB before and got sent a new Hub 4 today for the upgrade. 

550Mbps is good for WiFi-5 on a mobile device.

Keep in mind 1Gbps is designed to be shared across multiple devices concurrently, so two devices could download at 550Mbps at the same time!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All I can suggest is calling in to see if you can get a 3m cable sent out. Or a VM person should respond here in a day or so and advise if that's possible. Re. testing on ethernet.. 20-50m runs of Cat5e/6 ethernet cable can be had for less than a tenner and are useful for just testing devices anywhere in the house and then rolling up and putting in your "bits" drawer until you need it again.

Or you can get a Tech visit for £25 to resite the Hub to wherever you want in the house and to rebalance the power levels.

Or as I said... just get your own wireless router with GB ports and connect it to the hub (put into Modem mode) by ethernet cable to wherever you want. TP-Link have a few Wifi6 ones available for £60-100 (pay more - gets better of course) so you can get higher speeds on your wifi6 enabled devices.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi @mattymatt1980

Welcome to the Community 

As everyone has kindly said, the speeds you get over WIFI will be dependent on many other factors like, how many device you have connected and device compatibility. You want see 1Gbps over WIFI until WIFI 6 is available and you have a device that is compatible with it. Out newer HUB 5 which is currently on trial/soft release has WIFI 6, so you want have to wait too much longer for it.

If you'd like me to arrange a technician to come a rewire/relocate your router I can do this for you via private message. As mentioned it would be a £25 charge. Let me know if that is something you'd like me to arranged.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley