Menu
skunky
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Traffic Management

Hi

Why am i being Traffic Managed every week night i don't use torrent much mostly all we ever do is watch prime or netflix or skype or sometimes gaming.But every night are connection drops from 380mb to 100-200 well we pay for unlimited broadband only and pay you £53:00 a month for it.Still every weeknight it go's to the lowest speeds you do just when everyone comes home from work or school.Let me tell you now i will give you one week to stop throttling us or i will phone up and cancel my contract what speeds you give us at night i could get for about £20:00 a month elsewhere.Also why are you charging us for the same price as if we have broadband and phone when we are broadband only you do this every time you do a price hike.You hike up the price of a phone we don't have.

Thanks

Roger

BTW i am doing 70mb download speed right now

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Traffic Management

VM dont throttle downstream.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
jhuk
Super solver
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There is no STM period Down or Up on your Tier and most other Tiers (may still be on very low Tiers, I cannot remember and you can look it up same as myself).

There was and may still however be the extra P2P shaping if needed at peek times in some areas that was over and above the normal STM (again you can look it up).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
vwillcox
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What you will be finding is over-utilisation. You say this happens when everybody gets home.

That's your first clue - they all go online to stream tv, play games online or skype/whats-app etc using the speed.

You are not guaranteed 380 - it is sold as a "UP TO" service.

You can ask them to check, but only dropping to 100 is seen as good. Dropping to 10 would be horrid.

So to put in your words "Let me tell you" Virgin will hold you to your contract to the last second. You will not get out of it without paying an early termination fee and that is normally monthly cost x how long left.

My Speed
350MB/s.
0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Really vwillcox? It depends but either way dropping to 100 from 350 isn't good - it's way below the minimum guarantee of 181Mb on 350.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

Our minimum download speed guarantee

The actual speed of your service may vary, but for new customers and existing customers who change their broadband services on or after 28thFebruary 2019, we now provide a minimum download speed guarantee to your Virgin Media Hub. This is 50% of the advertised speed for your broadband service on the date you placed your order.

The right to end your contract

If the download speeds to your Virgin Media Hub falls below our minimum download speed guarantee for three consecutive days (continuously or intermittently) and we’re unable to fix the problem within 30 days, you may be able to leave your contract without paying an early disconnection fee. That goes for new customers, or existing customers who change their broadband services on or after 28th February 2019.

0 Kudos
skunky
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We have been on max broadband speed for years so leaving would cost nothing.But this is what i would not want to do we love virgin broadband.My problem is why should we pay the price if others in my street is using there's at the same time as us. we don't pay for there connection or don't care how they use it.We also understand that it is not a guaranteed max connection even though virgin do a good job so far.I wouldn't mind if i was using it at max speeds all the time like other people i know.I feel you get what you pay for and 100mb is not what we pay for.

Roger

Shelleyc
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm quite happy with my superduff 3. 

0 Kudos
Hoogle
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You will probably find it is more likely to be speedtest that is throttling your speed. recently at only specific times and servers can I get within 100mbps of my package. I use gra.proof.ovh.net now seems to be a lot more consistent. I doubt it is virgin throttling you as they just don't do it anymore  it may be more likely that the usage in your area is up, or you have intelligent wifi switched on which does slow you connection down but gives a good steady connection to everything connected to wifi. Or it could be just as simple as amount of devices connected to your network, a router reset or the ethernet cable you are connected to the router with. I hope you are doing your speed tests on a wired connection and not over wifi. 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's your area - all these lovely people jumping on 500mbps and canning it

simple answer. Not sure about other packages but when you sign up to 500 they say 498 is the average and if you fall below 280 you can leave without penalty. I heard that being said to someone last night in fact. 

0 Kudos