Menu
Gooseroaster
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Throttling

I have currently had issues with fluctuating broadband speed really slow one minute and really fast the next.  When measured on my phone everything seems ok and my broadband speed is fast.  When i try to game on my xboxone's, as i have 2 one of which is hard wired, i have noticed the issue (especially when trying to stream Netflix 4K to my Xboxone S). The signal is sinusoidal peaks and trough's.  I have spoken to one of the Techy guys at my place of work he tells me the signal is throttling ie finds a fault at fast speed by getting packet loss reduces the signal until packet loss goes then increases the speed again and then the cycle repeats.

0 Kudos
spoons33
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Throttling

VM are suffering from a lot of packet loss atm, if you open a command prompt and do a TRACERT to vm or google or microsoft the data packets are timing out at hop 3 just after wolverhampton.  I have informed them about this but the tech guy didnt understand and tried to tell me I had a firewall problem, I spent 40 mins trying to explain what was wrong but gave up and decided to wait for them to stumble across the fault themselves.  I have been trying to play iracing all day but the packet loss is making it unplayable.

lucan07
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have also been taking this up with them, I am new to Iracing but as a semi retired IT Pro I have been runniing tests, I have contacted Iracing too, the system drops packets so much that online racing impossible, it's a fact is your ISP and router are worth up to 3 seconds a lap. Try doing time trial test car on track first then see the difference in speed online in the TT. Locally I run 3 seconds faster than online sessions when car control is virtually impossible I have been writing an article, iracing is more to do with ISP quality of connection or your location than driver skill, making it an uneven contest. Virgin Super Hub3 is a major factor the Intel Puma-ggedon being covered up by Virgin Media.

Your problem and thousands of others all across the country are caused by the Intel chipset been going on for over a year now but may start to move as I hear I TV program is soon due to air!

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

spoons33 wrote:

VM are suffering from a lot of packet loss atm, if you open a command prompt and do a TRACERT to vm or google or microsoft the data packets are timing out at hop 3 just after wolverhampton.  I have informed them about this but the tech guy didnt understand and tried to tell me I had a firewall problem, I spent 40 mins trying to explain what was wrong but gave up and decided to wait for them to stumble across the fault themselves.  I have been trying to play iracing all day but the packet loss is making it unplayable.

That feel when you know enough to run a traceroute but not enough to know how to read one and spent 40 minutes trying to 'educate' your ISP's technical support.

The hops not responding isn't a fault. After your area's aggregation router, the one with core in its name, no further hops respond until you reach either the edge of the VM network or another VM aggregation router as it's going into a tunnel of sorts.

Per the trace below nodes on the BBC's network do the same thing. Nothing on the Internet is obliged to respond to either traceroutes or pings. The jitter isn't exactly pleasing but the timeouts are not evidence of loss.

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.68]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 2 ms 3 ms R9000 [192.168.0.1]
2 13 ms 15 ms 14 ms 10.93.56.1
3 15 ms 13 ms 14 ms leed-core-2b-xe-803-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.0.50.217]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 39 ms 25 ms 21 ms tcl5-ic-4-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.192.246]
7 29 ms 29 ms 24 ms te4-3-602.prt0.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.93]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 21 ms 22 ms 21 ms ae0.er01.telhc.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.109]
11 30 ms 20 ms 21 ms 132.185.255.148
12 23 ms 20 ms 109 ms bbc-vip113.telhc.bbc.co.uk [212.58.244.68]

ping -n 100 www.bbc.co.uk

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.246.55] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.55:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 154ms, Average = 33ms

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry to hear about this Gooseroaster,

I've located your details and everything appears to be within range.

How have things been for you since posting?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos