Menu
Ryan_Wilkinson
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed slower upstairs (80mbps) than downstairs (130mbps) - VIVID 200 (inconsistent - too slow)

Hi all.

So on behalf of my Parents (Virgin Media Account holders), I would like to say we are simply not satisfied with our Broadband Speed, Strength/Connection (far too slow and inconsistent).

Last weekend we upgraded our existing Package to VIVID 200 - so that means 200mbps Broadband Speed.

So we are using the 5GHz WiFi Band for all our devices (about 10 - which are never used all at once); upstairs (Son's room w/ PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Mobile Phone, Smart TV & Laptop) we are getting on average 80mbps Download & 9mbps Upload.

Meanwhile, downstairs (PS4 Pro, Smart TV, Mobile Phones) we are getting on average 130mbps Download & 10mbps Upload.

We have a WiFi Extender (Powerline) from when we upgraded to the latest Hub & TiVo Box with Virgin Media. We plugged it in upstairs (Son's room - socket to Xbox One X for a change (was downstairs), and we are now getting 140mbps Download & 10mbps Upload.

Furthermore, the TiVo box now gives an error message saying how there's no Internet Signal as there's no Ethernet cable plugged in.

Thus, we feel that we should be sent a 2nd complimentary WiFi Extender (Powerline) for this reason, as well as still being way under our promised 200mbps speed with VIVID 200 Broadband.

The WiFi signal strength is clearly inadequate for our expectancy and we would like a complimentary Speed Boost as we're paying £60p/m (a premium rate for ourselves) for something we're simply not receiving. If our demands aren't met and we aren't satisfied with a solution, we'll have to cancel our Contract with Virgin Media.

We have the Hub 3.0 upstairs, so we don't understand why the signal strength is so weak in comparison to what we are getting downstairs. We are now hardly any better off than when we had VIVID 100 Broadband in our Package.

Thanks in due course to anyone reading/replying to this and we appreciate all the help we can get, please. We just want a strong WiFi signal so we can get what we pay for and have an overall more pleasurable experience with our daily usage.

Kindest Regards,

The Wilkinson Family (Ryan)

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed slower upstairs (80mbps) than downstairs (130mbps) - VIVID 200 (inconsistent - too sl

No BB provider guarantees a wifi connection as it is subject to so many vagaries - house construction, blocking objects, interfering appliances & cables, interfering neighbours' networks, Apple iOS updates etc. (see the pink sticky post at the top of the forum for improving wifi signal).  If the connection by ethernet cable is fine (have you tested it) - that is all VM can see/test and will say "it's fine - you have a local wifi problem” - which, of course, may or may not be the case. There are a couple of things to try if you havent done these already, which helps wifi performance for some people - see below.  However, at the end of the day, the wifi from the Hub3 is pants.  I would never rely on it for wifi coverage in my home and furthermore the last people I want to be "appealing" to for help in that regard is VM CS !  So if you want good, strong and stable wifi in your parents home, treat them to a new good quality wifi router, access point or mesh system and stick it on the Hub3 in modem mode.

----

Access your Hub settings - (go to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1  in your browser) and disable the pernicious “smart wifi -channel selection” as suggested in this thread – AND - whilst in the settings - at the same time do what is suggested below it

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Potential-FIX-for-WiFi-Disconnections/td-p/...

Many wifi problems on the VM Hub3 are caused by it Auto-assigning the same ssid “name” to its 2.4 & 5 GHz frequency networks.  That can confuse 2.4GHz only devices as they may try to connect to the 5GHz one. So the first job is to change that:-

----

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1) in your browser

• Login with the default login info (it’s on the sticker on the base/side of Hub) unless you've already updated it !
  • Once logged in, go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under “Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz” - change the wifi Network Name (SSID) in the box to summat you like...   xxxxx2G - and also the wifi password (network key) to one you like and will remember!
  • Repeat this procedure for the “Wireless Frequency 5GHz” (call it xxxxx5G to distinguish it) use  the same password to keep it simple.
  • click on.. APPLY CHANGES, Log out and reboot the Hub3

Now all your devices should “see” the 2 individual renamed networks in your list of available networks  and so you can connect to just the one of your choice.  The 5GHz one is usually best and more stable and subject to less interference.  Its range may be less than the 2.4 one though - which some devices can only use.

See if that helps

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed slower upstairs (80mbps) than downstairs (130mbps) - VIVID 200 (inconsistent - too sl

solid advice above - i will just add that you pay for 200 down WIRED so you need to do a wired test using a pc or laptop with a gigabit card and using a cat5e lan cable or better

if thats 200 then [with respect] end of story - wifi as said above is down to you 

will further add if you are not happy you can cancel the upgrade within 14 days of it being applied - cancelling the package without cancellation fees could be more difficult as you would be seen to be in contract i think

as to them sending you free powerlines - you can ask but dont be disappointed when the answer is not what you want

Tony
Ryan_Wilkinson
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help and guidance.

I've managed to get the Speed up to 175mbps upstairs, since the Powerline has been introduced.

Only problem now, is that there is no Network Signal downstairs for the TiVo box to access 'On Demand' & 'Catch-up' TV Smiley Sad

Thus, I feel there is still the need for an additional Powerline, which I hope Virgin can provide, even if I have to call them.

Kind Regards,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Ryan_Wilkinson
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate your input. I am seeing slightly better results now (Wireless).

Do you recommend a certain Router which will allow for a stronger Wi-Fi signal throughout the home?

Kind Regards,

Ryan 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Ryan_Wilkinson wrote:

I appreciate your input. I am seeing slightly better results now (Wireless).

Do you recommend a certain Router which will allow for a stronger Wi-Fi signal throughout the home?

Kind Regards,

Ryan 

That really depends on your budget and what additional features you want in the new router.  Many on here will have many opinions - all of them good!

A good decent router for "normal" household needs can be had for around £60-70, whilst the all singing and dancing Netgear Nighthawk Gaming routers are £350+.  You could also go the wireless access point route where the Ubiquiti range (and Netgear Orbi) is well regarded with the advantage that you can add additional units if you want to extent further (mesh system).  Just do a bit of googling around and check out sites like  "Trusted reviews" & Tech radar" etc for background info and reviews to help you settle on a shortlist - Amazon and BroadbandBuyer can help you with that too.  Just make sure if you go the router route to choose a Cable router not an ADSL one.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

in truth most 3rd party routers are better than any of the hubs VM have provided over the years - they are no better than a get you going device - they seem to have finally accepted that by adding powerlines to their products - if you can get a free set then go with that but at the prices quoted on here in other threads i dont see them as an option

which router to choose depends on a few things - so its difficult to say - the Asus range gets good reviews on here but thats just one make

have you thought about running lan cables - may not be possible through floors or internally but run them externally - hole through an external wall in and out and run the cable between floors - add a switch at the end of the cable and distribute from there - some will tell you you need external grade cables but i think thats over kill - good quality cables [a few pounds] are happy enough outside

Tony
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed slower upstairs (80mbps) than downstairs (130mbps) - VIVID 200 (inconsistent ...

Hi Ryan_Wilkinson, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your wireless connection. 

Things seem to be ok from this side. It may help to try Getting the best WiFi Signal

Did the information -tony- and jbrennand gave you help you to get things sorted? 

Take care. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos