Menu
Glacialfire
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed slower since upgrade.

Have recently upgraded package from VIVID 350 to what is now called the M500. Had an extra box fitted in another room and went for the VIP bundle with sports and movie channels.

After the engineer visited, and installed the new box and activated my product, my broadband speed dropped from 380mbps to 250mbps. He said that the cable into the premises would need to be upgraded.

The cable engineers arrived the next week to install a new cable from the services in the street to the box on the wall at my home.

Since this has been done, my speed has dropped to under 100. Occasionally it will jump up over 200, and then quickly plummet to under 100 again.

I have used wired connections, wireless connections, in router mode, and in modem mode, as need to use an ASUS router as Virgin router coverage is pretty poor for my home. 

I use the Speed test.net website and app to get speeds.

I was very happy with the speeds I was getting before, but the upgrade to the M500, has given me a speed 1/3 of what I was previously getting. I have spoken on chat conversations on the Virgin customer service,  but there is no problems with the line apparently. So it must be my fault.

Any ideas who to speak too?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed slower since upgrade.

Check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom middle of first page up and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the downstream, upstream, & network logs Pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Glacialfire
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  I'll get round all that and report back. After quick inspection though, the external box on the wall is now at 45 degrees from the wall, and not fully attached. Thicker upgraded cable running into the box seems to be pulling the box away from the wall at it's base. Looks a bit rushed to be honest. 

0 Kudos
catchcoder
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have this exact same problem, I not get about 100 download 😞

Please help!

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest Try a test on that. I think somethings up with speedtest.net

0 Kudos
Glacialfire
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Using that instead of speednet, gave me worse results. 90mb download, upload is the same at 39.

How can you go forward with this? When I speak to tech, all I get is "Reset your router.....plug it in via a dsl line and run speednet and post results.....we've run a test on your line and their doesn't appear to be a problem with it. 

Frustrating paying more for a worse speed!!

0 Kudos