Menu
earthworm48
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband - Realistic Expectations for Speed BR4 (West Wickham, Bromley)

Hi guys,

Tried Virgin back in 2011 and it was terrible in this area, at anytime after work and at weekends the broadband was unusable as it was so slow, was informed at the time it was a utilisation issue, basically VM couldn't handle the load in the area. This went on for months and I left. The jitter was awful too and the line was very unstable and I would get a really bad score on the old jitter test site (that was run by the ping test guys).

Asked a couple of years back and heard this was STILL the case. We are moving soon and I'm considering switching broadband providers, the speed options on offer are so high I am tempted but is this actually going to be the case or if I buy it am I just going to find at the times I'm at home it is slow, and is the jitter still terrible?

I'm a heavy user, most things we do use the net heavily. Especially for work so can't be dealing with an unstable unusable service.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband - Realistic Expectations for Speed BR4 (West Wickham, Bromley)

You could start a 30 day contract. It is more expensive but allows you to leave penalty free with 30 days notice. If its fine you could probably negotiate a price drop to a new 12mo contract.
Or if its "crucial" for work you should look at a business contract.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM no longer sell in oversubscribed areas. So if they give you an installation date, area should be okay.

You've 14 days to change your mind penalty free, so nothing to lose by trying it out.

The only thing I would point out is that residential contracts have no SLA's. As stated above a business connection may fit your needs better, or if access is mission critical, install a failover- 4G or a VDSL line.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The hub 3.0's latency has been partly resolved by a firmware update, and we are no longer seeing posts about this problem.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos