Menu
lgmdaniel
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Dropped Packets

I've noticed terrible stuttering with my music streaming, like the connection is being constantly disconnected. But while I do notice occasional drops its not 100% of the time. I thought it was terrible performance from the Virgin Hub, so I got it replaced with my own one. This did improve some of the range, the issue with streaming and drops continued more. So I started looking at the network quality, the connection is fast as is the upload. But I noticed issues with packets being lost, so using Think Broadband I figure this might help me get to the bottom of the issue. Wow! I've never seen so much red!

Now normally your see packet loss occur when the packets travelling across a network fail. In this case it's the packets from the network to my Virgin Hub.  It could also be dropping them header or checksums are corrupted, but even then I would only expect to see a small volume of corruption. I'm baffled as to how to look into this, or even explain on the phone how this is occurring and how to get it fixed.125bd1c67dd236652323c049f079bbccec6057e3.png

On my own network I'd be looking for faulty hardware or issues in the bandwidth meaning packets can't get through due to hitting time-outs. But this is not my network, and it wouldn't surprise me if its affecting the whole local exchange. I know that last year the whole estate was dug up for gas works and we had massive issues (after years of perfect service), and long with this I know there is local exchange move going on. All small local exchanges are being routed into one big hub, to make it easier to manage. So where do I start.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lgmdaniel
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Dropped Packets

Router Status -

virgin1.jpg

I see a lot of these T3 Ranging errors.

Below is a cut of the rest of the hub status.

virgin2.jpgvirgin3.jpg

0 Kudos
lgmdaniel
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I think I have problems with my Downstream channels, but I've got no idea if I'm interpreting the data correctly. I had a engineer come in and swap the hub before Christmas, who told me the signal looked okay, but now I'm not so sure.

horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@lgmdaniel wrote:

I think I have problems with my Downstream channels, but I've got no idea if I'm interpreting the data correctly. I had a engineer come in and swap the hub before Christmas, who told me the signal looked okay, but now I'm not so sure.

FWIW I believe you're absolutely correct - you've no idea!  That said hardly anyone else has either unless we wait for ForumTeam. response typically in 2-10 days?....   Smiley Tongue

In meantime while awaiting FT response you can consider the following:

1. TBB/BQM (ala ICMP "RED   WALL. OF DOOM") is a known issue for certain Hub3(firmware version) and TBB (routing metric) with Hub3 in Routing Mode.  Try an alternative (ICMP ping plot. host. eg. lookup "f8lure" @ "mouselike.com" )   for comparison using FIREBRICK( AAISP & F8LURE. server hosting alternatives) via other (non TBB  peering points) ? 

2. Post the COMPLETE Network log, and complete downstream log (your  17 D/S ch displayed. instead of 20/24 just begs  questions. relating. to MDD/RCD noise but. more likely due to user not displaying whole  log including Pre/Post. RS columns - see Firmware/Software versioning)   

3.  Check > Hub3 Gui Login >  ADMIN >> INFO >>.

Software version: 9.1.116.608

Yours may be 116V. or different (hence I'm not displaying mine) These can/have in the past affected how the TBB/BQM. is presented! 

Some earlier firmware. also excluded Pre/Post RS data channel columns. 

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
lgmdaniel
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I can see that I'm running the most recent version of the firmware.

This is the current network log:virgin-network-log.jpg

0 Kudos
lgmdaniel
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Downstreamvirgin-downstream-log.jpg

0 Kudos
lgmdaniel
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Following up on this, I'm also running monitor at "f8lure" as you mentioned. So I can see the logs being collected.
0 Kudos
horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nothing worryingly obvious in the updated stats,   although would like to. see if. your. cable segment. is. still limited to 2x QAM64 channels,  and associated Tick counters?   That said only L2. support can analyse. the upstream. SNR/FEC/IPDR CM. timing data in-depth anyway.

Once you have sufficient "F8lure" comparatives. then you can hopefully differentiate any TBB/BQM false +''s......

Obvious question is whether you're  otherwise getting. any other significant subjective performance degradation on "wired connection" and subsequently  "w/less"  during game play-dropped connections/speed variations/extreme. lag etc...?

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
lgmdaniel
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well it's been 6 days now and I've been monitoring it via f8lure and I'm still seeing massing packet loss:

https://f8lure.mouselike.org/index.asp?DoAction=HistoricList&Host=86.2.161.36&FBMode=True

I'm wondering, is it just because its running in modem mode?

86.2.161.36_day28.png

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You likely have not allowed ping requests on your router or firewall.

0 Kudos