Menu
Highlighted
dav88
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Bracknell RG42 Slow Speeds

Hello,

Over the last 3-4 nights I've been experiencing slow speeds of around 10-30mbps during peak times down from my regular 200mbps. I'm aware that it's not always possible to keep optimum download speeds during peak times but I've noticed a real fall in service. 

Is anyone experiencing else experiencing this issue? And is there anything that Virgin is doing in the local area that may be contributing to this. If so, when can I expect a resolution?

Many thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bracknell RG42 Slow Speeds

Still no improvements and now on night 5 or 6. Is anyone able to suggest what the issue is? Currently experiencing speeds of around 18mbps-23mbps down from 200mbps. I've had issues like this before in the area and aware they can take years to sort...

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm assuming you are measuring these speeds on an ethernet connection, as WiFi measurements are rarely accurate.

You could monitor the connection over a period by setting up a BQM test at thinkbroadband.com.  This will show is there is a daily problem and you can post the results on here for comments.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As jpeg1 says....
If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do this first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, etc).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi both,

Thanks for that. Just to clarify I'm running a speed test on my pc that's plugged in via ethernet. All other devices via wi-fi were also disconnected during those tests. My speeds are absolutely fine out of peak hours but I'll run some tests via thinkbroadband.

I'm convinced I don't need to go into safe mode with networking, as I regularly check my pc for viruses, software updates, etc. etc. so it's pretty clean from that perspective.

Grateful if someone from Virgin can acknowledge this post and recommend next steps.

Best wishes

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

I appreciate you getting in touch.

There is ongoing work on the network that may be impacting you.

This was identified in Dec and the planned fix to this is in July.

The reference is F004944238  

It does relate to possible slow speeds, however these issues do not always affect every customer.

If you are still impacted by this issue please pop back and let us know.

Kind regards.

Kaz

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kaz,

Thanks for the update. I was receiving credit for this a while back but I've not received anything in a while.

My speeds weren't too bad during January, it's really been over the last two weeks. Although I've not been monitoring my internet long, I've provided a quick snapshot of my broadband last night. I also ran a speed test (below this image) which shows the drop I'm getting from my usual speeds (out of peak times). The speed test was also ran when no other devices were connected to the internet except for my wired pc. 

Are you able to provide any update as to when I may see improvements as this is a significant performance drop in the evenings.

Many thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi dav88,

The issues in your area are unfortunately down to a utilisation issue, the fact you're experiencing your performance dips around peak times seems to confirm you're affected by this. We're looking to resolve this through upgrades to the infrastructure in your area, the fix time we currently have is 10/07/19, if we are able to proceed with the upgrades as planned you would most likely experience improvements around this fix time.

If you have any more questions let us know and we'll do our best to help.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the update, that seems like a very long time to be receiving slow speeds during peak hours and given these dates tend to get pushed back months and even years at a time will I be receiving any compensation for a loss of service?

Many thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi dav88,

Sorry your fault F004944238 is taking so long to fix. We need to do work to upgrade the local server, and this work can be complicated due to local planning issues.

Are you having trouble with the connection at any other time of the day? 

Keep us posted. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos