cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best speed test

clarkey39
Dialled in

Morning folks,

Can i ask which speed test people use? Since upgrading to the Hub4 with 1GB broadband i have been trying it out using Speedtest.net via ethernet.

One minute it gives 800mbps next it will be 450mbps.

No pre or post RS errors and the BQM looks fine.

13 REPLIES 13

VM used to advise initiating four simultaneous downloads and adding te speeds together, then they advised Speedtest by Ookla. They have now introduced SamKnows RealSpeed which as previously stated only works in router mode (when it actually works), but in my experience it doesnt.

Samknows Speedtest works regardless of modem or router mode and funnily enough any test i did there yesterday or today only gives 750Mbps so that could be congestion on the test servers.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@m00g wrote:

VM used to advise initiating four simultaneous downloads and adding te speeds together, then they advised Speedtest by Ookla. They have now introduced SamKnows RealSpeed which as previously stated only works in router mode (when it actually works), but in my experience it doesnt.

Samknows Speedtest works regardless of modem or router mode and funnily enough any test i did there yesterday or today only gives 750Mbps so that could be congestion on the test servers.

There is a difference between the two tests.

The Realspeed is a client built into the Hub's firmware by VM, hence it only works in Router mode.  It will not work for anyone who uses modem mode, e.g. myself.

The Speedtest works for anyone, as it's browser based and not linked to any Hub.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@clarkey39 wrote:

OK. I have now tried it via safe mode on my laptop and via ethernet.  <snip>  

Okay, that's progress.  At least you know something on the windows software side is slowing things down. Just one question, are you sure your kit is capable of getting the full ~950mb over ethernet ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

clarkey39_0-1644408016904.png

I managed to get @900mbps using this laptop.

Is that the most i can ever hope for?