cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth throttling again

JustinJ41
Tuning in

Just at the beginning of the COVID pandemic I noticed a drop form our 500+ meg to around 250 and assumed this was something Virgin did as a lot of people were working at home. After 8 weeks I contacted Virgin support and they wanted to send an engineer. I explained this was not a problem at our end (it was throttled at Virgin Media) but they did anyway. 

At the entrance to our property he measure 290 meg, some way of the 550 we were used to seeing. He did not have an answer but said he had switched our port in the road and to 'see how it goes'. Around 2 weeks later, over night the speed went back up to the 500 to 500 we had previously. 

A week or so ago it dropped again to between 250 and 300 and has remained that way. OK, 300 is still plenty enough but I should receive what I pay for or have a rebate?

I would like to have this resolved one way or another. Don't say you are not throttling when you are, rebate where appropriate although I would prefer to have the speed I am paying for.

53 REPLIES 53

Hi Megan,

All details are in the threads you are replying to.

The issue has been here since March, 2 engineer visits (one today, he had just left when I posted).

Issue is 250 to 300Meg connection not 500meg.

Engineer can see the problem and measure the speed is half what it should be but does not know why.

The new 'Old' router he installed today (old because it has error files from a previous install in 2019) shows sync issues since being connected at my home and the RCS partial service' status seen above.

Part of the problem is your network team say it is not a network problem yet taking the V6 box outside and plugging in where the cable enters the house results in a 290 Meg test at best.

Justin

Hi Justin,

I've checked the settings and compared it to the package you're on and can confirm that they match for the M500. I know you've preformed some speedtests but can you do another on Speedtest.net using a wired connection and post it on here? It's so we can see that the server being used to test is optimal. 

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

Your engineers have done their speedtests using speedtest.net and their 'new' one they have been asked to use, 250Meg on Speed test.net and 94meg on the new one. You need to read the full message chain here, all 4 pages. I cover the fact this is a wired connection, nothing else on the network, router in modem only mode connected at GB to my workstation.

Your engineers do not see more than 290meg when they test with 2 V6 boxes at the point your cable comes into our property. 

There are 'critical' and 'warning' notifications on the V6 box, these messages:

WARNING! - RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=XX XX XX XX ;CMTS-MAC=XX XX XX XX ;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

I suspect whatever is cause the 'partial' services is why we see half the speed we are paying for. 

CRITICAL! - SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=xx xx xx xx xx ;CMTS-MAC=xx xx xx xx xx xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

CRITICAL! - No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC= XX XX XX XX XX ;CMTS-MAC=XX XX XX XX X;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

No amount of speed tests will make the service go back up again, it reduced to 250 in March and these errors have persisited since them with a window of around 1 week where it returned to normal (500 meg) . Could you please escalate to a senior tech that will have the ability to look at and fix this issue.

Thank you.

Lisa, 

go to page 2 of this thread, you will see a speedtest.net result between here and virgin media Basildon, not even public internet, still on Virgin network and still only 208Meg.

This is a Think Broadband result:BB.png

Thanks JustinJ41 for confirming for me. I wanted to make sure that the information was up to date as wasn't sure if it had changed since the posts a few weeks ago. I've asked the Area Field Manager (AFM) to see if they can raise a ticket for our Networks Team to take a look at the network and I'll get back to you.

I'm sorry about this and thank you for your patience whilst we look.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi JustinJ41,

I believe that the AFM has contacted you about this and have arranged a visit. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Lisa

Very quickly thank you! Spoke with him on the phone and he is hoping to get a number of people on site tomorrow to get it resolved.

Justin

Thanks to Megan and Lisa I think we are finally getting somewhere with this. Had a call from one of the network managers who sent 2 senior engineers round. they did a lot of testing outside on the network and also in the home where they also removed and replaced some cabling and connectors. 

The issue is not resolved but they have identified some network issues which need to be addressed and work on that is starting this coming week. I also had a call form the same senior manager post call as a follow up.

Like I said the issue is still there but now feel sure it will get sorted as the right people are involved. Thanks again!

Justin

Well, all was going very well and engineers were out and checking things earlier this week and seemed as if they knew what they were doing. When they left Monday they said they will be in touch Wednesday and will be doing something at one of the local network points. Not heard anything since, slight improvement in speed (300 to 400) but not a further word. PM'd the Virgin forum guys, no reply.

Can anyone tell me where we are and what is going on?

Justin