cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad upload speed

Dannilad
Tuning in

Hi all,

Been having issues with my upload speed the last few days or so. I've been thinking it's probably because everyone is at home hammering the Internet, but yesterday I tightened all the cables and the upload speed improved. Done the same tonight but nothing is working. Download speed is around 200Mbps, but the upload speed I'm only at 0.8-1Mbp if I'm lucky.

I can't see if there's a general area fault and I've tried all the suggestions from Virgin's support team regarding resetting my hub etc.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do from my side or am I stuck until tomorrow when the support number is open?

Thanks.

36 REPLIES 36

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9e2267d88a415e3d39a6c3d6aa763c52ad67f7f6

Is this what you need John?

Update - Just called them, the support team just said they've logged my call on the system and that they can't escalate to a tech engineer right away, apparently I have to keep calling them? Seems a bit crazy to me...any ideas on how I can kinda shove this through the system a bit quicker or do I just need to play the game?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Forget CS they are script reading. BQM building up now. A VM person will pick this up - I wlll flag for them to come and look - keep checking backj

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yeah I'm IT support myself, albeit not off a script but I was nothing but understanding with them, not their fault at the end of the day. Thanks for all your help John, I've got email notifications on so I'll know when someone replies, I'll keep my eye on the thread 🙂

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Dannilad,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your upload speeds.

Can you please tell me if your Hub is in modem mode? If so can you turn this off? Then do a pinhole reset?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley,

My router is not in modem mode, I can do another pinhole reset for you now and then you can monitor the BQM. Currently not had much of an issue, but my upload speed is on the slow side.

I will write back when the pinhole reset has been completed.

Just to confirm, the pinhole reset has been completed. Internet is back on but will need to watch the BQM for the latency. Upload speed still seems slow, hovering around 7-10Mbps

Hi Hayley, John,

The Internet is now playing up. I'm getting upload speeds below 1Mbps, is this being reflected on the BQM?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It went pear shaped between ~10pm-2am - looking ok since.

Hows it doing today? Post the Upstream stats again now - post pinhole reset. If still bad I will escalate again as Hayley may be off duty/hols.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It's fine through the day, always seems to, though I am working today and the connection did completely die for a minute or two, but doesn't look like it reflected this on the graph. It's always at night I have this issue, never through the day.

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

15370005031.2512064 qam2
26029992631.3512064 qam1
33940000031.5512064 qam4
44620002931.3512032 qam3

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0000
2ATDMA0000
3ATDMA0000
4ATDMA00250