cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Upload speed + DNS errors in Area 15

Zephyntor
Tuning in

Hi,

So since the weekend (possibly Friday) we've had terrible upload speeds on our M500 connection. Various speed tests have given between 340 and 450 Mbps down, which is fine obviously. But Upload speeds are hovering around 0.1 Mbps sometimes as high as 0.4, which is not fine. Especially as its meant to be around 36.

It's a wired connection, tried restarting everything etc. So all the usual boxes are ticked. HUB3 which is in modem mode.

It is also having intermittent DNS probe errors popping up and just weird failures when loading stuff, which I've not been able to work out if they're handshake issues or some post loading thing on various pages where it uploads requests and they fail or if its the DNS. I can probably switch to OpenDNS or Google DNS to eliminate that issue though.

21 REPLIES 21

Hi Zephyntor

Thanks for coming back to us.

This does need a technician from running some checks.

I'll PM you now to arrange

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi Zephyntor

Thanks for joining me on PM 🙂

Glad to hear it seems fixed but do keep me posted if you need further assistance.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

So it was fine during the day then around 4:30 it fell apart again. Upload has dropped back down to less than 1 Mbps normally around 0.1Mbps so starting to get down to ISDN levels. Anyway handshakes are failing regularly and doing a ping to google.com had 24% packet loss.

If time of day is part of it I'm going to go out on a limb and say utilisation issues.

Obviously the status page says there's no problem, I'm not sure what kinda QoS test with 24% packet loss is fine. 

Upstream stats:

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

13260024739512016 qam5
24620000038.8512032 qam3
33940020139.5512016 qam4
42580000038.5512064 qam6

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0000
2ATDMA0000
3ATDMA0000
4ATDMA0000

Wow it's now collapsed to the point the Gmail is timing out and speedtest can't consistently connect to any server to run.

The status service auto test thing insists the connection is fine somehow. Usefully happened just after 10pm.

I'm genuinely impressed that the diagnostic claims my connection works fine. Yet speed test is timing out and getting my Gmail inbox times out. The QoS is ludicrous

Good morning, this is why I did say a technician was needed

Send me a PM with the details I requested yesterday and we'll get one booked in

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi John,

I did include that in a reply yesterday but I've sent it again

I set up a quality monitor last night its showing around 15-20% packet loss (which started around 10.10pm) that just fixed itself around 3am. When I'd obviously gone to bed.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 500Mbps

Thanks for sending me those details via PM Zephyntor

Just to update the thread, the booking for the tech has been done.

This can be tracked or altered in your Online Account

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Zephyntor
Tuning in

Hi,

So this has mysteriously started all over again today:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7c45c395538fcc42cc437f5d99c273d7d0...

It's not entirely at the point of it being unusable but things are starting to get flakey.

Thanks

Yeah so it's not a blip as its continued all day, there's too much noise basically and the website self help guides have changed so aren't idiotically telling me to move closer to the router after saying its wired but they really don't understand that its in modem mode 😄 

Red packet loss of doom.

7c45c395538fcc42cc437f5d99c273d7d0bfed0c-09-12-2021