cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Internet

Qzau
Joining in

Hello,

After upgrading to Virgins 1gb internet speed, I'm sadly disappointed about the speed.

I have virgin routed into the house and not many devices connected ( 6/7 max and never at one time)

I have been getting average 80mbps download speed which is nowhere near what they are saying. 

How can virgin get away with advertising 1gb internet when the highest I have ever seen it is 400mbps (On the day I got it, and never again).

Seems like a scam because they're charging so much for it and you're contracted in.

3 REPLIES 3

Client62
Hero

"80mbps download speed" - this is could be network connection that has de-rated from 1000 to 100Mb/s.

The usual cause is a network cable that is out of spec or has internal damage that may not be obvious on the outside.

If the Hub is in Router mode ( i.e. if offers WiFi )  test the speed to the Hub and to your device with this link :

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Qzau, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your issues in the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with your speed. Taking a look at this end, the hub is showing a few of the specifications are out. Your signal levels are too low and the upstream power levels are too high. 

We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Qzau,

Thanks for coming back to me via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. Please note it can take up to 24 hours to show but you should also receive a text message with the details. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

➡ The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment

➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

➡ The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs