cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BQMs showing BGP peering issues

mattj_uk
Dialled in

Hi forum reps:

Can we have at least someone from VM acknowledge the fact that Virgin Media is experiencing severe latency issues to certain parts of the Internet during peak hours right now, and that these are causing every single customer BQM to show horrendous latency, due to a core network / BGP peering issue?

It's been four days now, and honestly I've have hoped that either someone would've come here to pin a sticky to say "we know, this is the problem, we're working on it", rather than continuing to tell customers that what they're seeing is a DOCSIS network problem when it isn't (and is across multiple pretty distinct DOCSIS networks, in this case)?

I am also seeing this intra-day (i.e. outside the peak) with ramping ping spikes presumably being caused by asymmetric path flapping even to Google's DNS anycast addresses.

Matt

8 REPLIES 8

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

BQM showing peak time latency issues for Virgin Media users | thinkbroadband

Still ongoing, but hopefully will be sorted soon.?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Oh, agreed - would be nice if VM also acknowledged it though, rather than just TBB...

Highly doubt any of the staff here know what BGP is nevermind understand how it's causing this issue. 

VM network guys are aware though

My BQM didn't look good last night but has settled down. It's not quite as good as before but my modest usage is not hampered at all.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I've forced a Wan IP address change by changing the MAC address on my Asus router to see if it returns today again on a new IP address. This worked for me the last time but I'm not too optimistic this time around if I'm honest, but I'll try anything at this point. I ended up just streaming content from my Plex/Synology within my own LAN last night as streaming from the internet wasn't going to plan, had to cancel a few uploads until this morning as well as it was just freezing up, in the end I gave up and uploaded my stuff this morning without any problems.

I do agree with the above though, even if Virgin are using a service outside their network but still part of the infrastructure it is still something they need to address and let customers know what's happening instead of saying there's no problem. I'm not too bothered as I have already cancelled my account and moving to BT, but I still have 3 weeks left and I hate to say it "a predictable problem" but come 4th May I'm gone but would still like to be able to come back to a working Virgin service if need be in the future if things don't work out at BT. I live in hope!

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

I have got more info on my Thread Post lots of others have commented

Hey @mattj_uk,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
The issue was raised by our moderating team to our support team, who have been investigating this with TBB. 

Is your BQM still showing issues at the moment?

Regards,

Steven_L 

No, all much calmer now.