cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BQM

jenfamily1
Dialled in

Been having problems with poor wifi signal.Often marginal 37% or 31% so I performed a BQM test. The results were 188 Mbps upload & 21 Mbps upload. I was asked to post a link to everyone but don't know how so can you tell me if these speeds look ok?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jenfamily1 

Instructions for posting BQM Link from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality 

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jenfamily1 

Instructions for posting BQM Link from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality 

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jenfamily1 wrote:

Been having problems with poor wifi signal.Often marginal 37% or 31% so I performed a BQM test. The results were 188 Mbps upload & 21 Mbps upload. I was asked to post a link to everyone but don't know how so can you tell me if these speeds look ok?

Depends what package you are on and how you are testing speeds.  Can yo do it this way...

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.
So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Dave and thanks again for your help .I could follow your instructions to produce the graph but considering the VM technician performed this himself and found I was obtaining 5.5 something or other coming from VM to my hub and the tests showed 200Mbps download / 21 upload. He was sure that having my hub connected by ethernet to my PC in the hall is too far away from the V6 boxes above. I'm reluctant to pay VM any more money for booster pods but have a long ethernet cable to connect from whichever room box I'm watching from to the hub. This probably won't solve any issues I have concerning not being able to connect one V6 box to another as the technician seemed to think I'd need a strong wifi connection to do this. It's not true, sometimes even with 27% marginal I can connect but other times when the signal is 80% very good I can't I still think a lot of this is how much 'traffic' is being used in peak times.

Tried two different browsers and bot give me between 188Mbps - 200Mbps which is what VM guarantee.I defo have wifi issues because my hub is ethernet cabled into my PC a yard away but that means the hub is too far from the upstairs boxes.I'm loath to rent booster 'pods' from VM and can't get them for free without upgrading to a ridiculously high speed package of which I have no need.I did replace my Cat5 cable for a Cat6 in hope my internet email doesn't drop out.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jenfamily1 wrote:
Tried two different browsers and bot give me between 188Mbps - 200Mbps which is what VM guarantee.

Was that with the Hub in modem mode and the computer booted into safe mode?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So, if I'm reading this correctly,  your wired speeds to the PC are fine, but the wifi to your upstairs is poor.?

If you don't want to cable to the upstairs, then you will need to invest in either a mesh system, or power line adapters to extend the wifi signal.  There is no other way around this.  Even if you paid £25 for VM to locate the Hub upstairs, you will then still need to run a cable down to the PC.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes I agree totally with you. I don't mind on the odd occasion having to run the one lengthy cable I have down to the hub but as you say it's as 'broad as long' moving the hub nearer to upstairs because my PC isn't wireless and I'd still need a long cable to connect the two.Thx for your help

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you have a cable from the Hub going to the PC then just put that cable into an "unmanaged" 1GB 4-8 port ethernet switch (~£15) and plug the PC into that and then get a wireless access point and then ethernet cable connect that to the switch. This will give you full speeds on wifi up there. These can be had for ~£20 (limited to 100mbps) and 1GB ones from ~£40.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi John
Sorry for the delay in replying to this question. Not being at all technically minded, I hadn't interfered with the hub at all ( it is how it is all day & everyday ) so don't know if you refer to it as in modem mode. The computer wasn't altered either just switched on like it is every day ( so probably not 'safe mode' The VM technician used his mobile phone to detect that a figure of 5.5 was coming down the line and he used 'Speed Test' rather than the 'Broadband Speed' one which probably others use but both indicated 188 -200Mbps.I will look into the ethernet switches you mentioned.