Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B band upgrade with 02

Notebook64
Joining in

Been upgraded to 200 megs. 
on WiFi getting around 80. 
exactly the same as I was on 100 megs. 
in fact my wired connection used to show 108. Now Showing around 60. 
any help appreciated 

11 REPLIES 11

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Notebook64,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I'm sorry to hear of your broadband speed issues, how are things looking at the moment, have you had any improvements since you last posted?

Regards,

Steven_L 

No

Rang virgin and they did some tests and said to wait 48 hours.. Not often an upgrade downgrades you..

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Lets check some things...

First that the upgrade has gone through properly. Re-boot the Hub and then when its back online log into the Hub settings and navigate to the "Configuration data file" - look in the "Max Data Transfer Rate" boxes for the downstream and upstream channels. What numbers are in there? They are in bps (not Mbps) and will start   20nnnnnnn... if on the 200 package or    10nnnn...   if still not upgraded.

Then, to check what speeds you are actually getting - do it this way.

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW (old ones do fail) and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable (NOT a Cat5 one!) , directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

For wifi connectons, are you connecting on the 2.4 or 5 GHz band (or are you not sure). This is because my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course).

However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 50-60mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the wifi technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi

Box was reset by VM

running in passthrough as VM router drops out continually.

new wifi router connected 

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Wi-Fi Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz, 4+1 Fast Ports, Single-Core CPU, Parental Control, Easy setup (Archer C50)

Connected via wifi to my MacBook M1 processor - getting around 80 meg
Same with laptop using wall plugs..

will have to return reset VM box when time allows

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Err ok. TBC - is the Hub in modem mode with the TP-link doing all the routing and wifi. If not it should be and it needs setting up in this sequence - so try again ,like this

Now put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
or reboot it if it already is, and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yes, the Hub in modem mode with the TP-link doing all the routing and wifi.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Was the above followed in the same order? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

ok - to begin with, the VM was placed in modem mode and the uplink setup.. 108 megs for months.

the vm person rebooted it into modem mode and sent some info.

Had to go back in and place it into modem mode again.

getting 90megs wifi this morning.

I mentioned that as it entered the house, there was a splitter that ran a cable for bb outside into the bedroom. This was damaged and cut off. I disconnected this as it may have acted like an aerial... anyway, that was some time ago.

will try the suggested actions later in the week.

Thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That router only has 802.11n for 2.4Ghz so that could be an issue for speed.   Make sure you are testing on the 5Ghz band.  However VM will not guarantee any wifi speeds from the Hub, and do not support 3rd party routers. 

For speed tests, you need to test a direct wired connection to the Hub.

As for disconnecting the cable from the splitter, did you put a termination cap on the splitter connection?   If not, this can cause noise ingress to your circuit, and also all the other users on the street cabinet.  You should have really asked VM to send a technician to sort out the cabling for this very reason.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks