cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful single thread download speed

EliasLassalle
Tuning in

Hey

Please could anyone can help or get me in contact with someone who might be able to.

I have had this issue since I moved into this property 3 months ago. My download speed to a single connection is awful compared to multi-connection downloads. 

4 of the 6 ethernet connected devices have around 25-40 Mbps download speed over a single-threaded download. All computers receive 500Mbps over a multi-threaded download. 

A number of devices within the house, ethernet and wifi connected have matching single and multi-thread download speeds however 4 of them do not and get a max 40Mbps compared to the 500Mbps we are promised. 

This issue isn't present when connecting the computer to a different address to a BT router meaning it's not the computers issue alone. 

Maybe a similar issue to this thread however some devices are completely fine -https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Single-Thread-HTTP-issue-retruns/td-p/4027825

Single connection speed test  - https://www.speedtest.net/result/12371531773

Different single connection speed test -

EliasLassalle_0-1637693570401.png

Multi connection download speed (All tests on same computer plugged into router, same speed no matter of time of day)

EliasLassalle_1-1637693955901.png

Any ideas or help would be great.

Thanks in advance!

17 REPLIES 17

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @EliasLassalle 

The image showing the download speed of 506.22Mbps and upload speed of 34.40Mbps has been rejected by the system due to your ip address being visible which is against forum rules. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Some router betweem you the the test server doing a QoS like SFQ the more threads you make to the server the more speed you get when the router is limiting bandwidth for everyone.
---------------------------------------------------------------

When no one’s using the internet the download is still caped at around 35Mbps.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@EliasLassalle wrote:

When no one’s using the internet the download is still caped at around 35Mbps.

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small faults are not shown on the VM status page.

You could try connecting a single PC/Laptop to the Hub in Modem mode and see what speeds you get.  This will give the Hub a different WAN IP for routing out.

Try a factory reset?  VM will ask you to so this in any case.

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Setup a BQM to monitor the incoming circuit  www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Note all speed tests need to be done wired directly to the Hub with a known good Cat 6 cable, as VM do not recognise wifi tests.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @EliasLassalle 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are still having some issues with your speeds. 

Are you connecting directly to the hub with the Ethernet connection or via a switch? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Directly via an ethernet cable.

However, other people in the house are going via a switch and they have the same issue as me. 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

So sorry to hear this @EliasLassalle

I'm going to pop you a PM for more details so we can look into things for you. 

Please look out for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of the screen. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI EliasLassalle, 

Thank you for messaging with us. I have checked over your account and you have not rebooted in 25 days. 

If you could reboot and re-test your speed for me, with a wired connection at speedtest.net.

Zoie

I restarted it. I looked into this a month ago and followed everything. The internet has also been generally rubbish for the past couple of days on top of the download speed for single-thread downloads still being less than 40 Mbps.

Is there a way to elevate this case as the internet is hardly useable at the moment? 

I have messaged them online and they sent out a technician who didn't understand or know what to do at all.