cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful company

Peterfettes
Joining in

I just joined virgin broadband for 300mb plus service. Yet within days was only receiving 90mb top download speed and sometimes under 40mb slower than my old NowTV broadband of 60mb. 

no response to complaints filed - can I legally leave this service for not meeting contract - or receive a refund for service paid for not being received?

8 REPLIES 8

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

how are you testing if wifi then any speed is possible you need to test wired to a pc with a gigabit network card and using a cat5e cable or better

you will not get a refund for slow speeds - well you might if its proved to be VM fault - you can leave within the first 14 days at no cost

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Forget WiFi - the broadband cable is directly attached into my device- running an app which tests and proves the speed of service.

what device - what is the spec of the network card and what is the spec of the cable

and what app is it

Tony.
Sacked VIP

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Peterfettes wrote:

I just joined virgin broadband for 300mb plus service. Yet within days was only receiving 90mb top download speed and sometimes under 40mb slower than my old NowTV broadband of 60mb. 

no response to complaints filed - can I legally leave this service for not meeting contract - or receive a refund for service paid for not being received?

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

Speedtest.net - poor companies blame customers and equipment it should show nowhere near 90mb if I’m paying for 300mb plus. Even streaming Netflix it buffers never had this in 15yrs of service from any broadband provider. Looking online…. lots of complaints about virgins own router.

@Peterfettes wrote:

Speedtest.net - poor companies blame customers and equipment it should show nowhere near 90mb if I’m paying for 300mb plus. Even streaming Netflix it buffers never had this in 15yrs of service from any broadband provider. Looking online…. lots of complaints about virgins own router.

poor or wrong equipment on your side will give reduced speed - a cat5 cable will may out at 90meg as will a 10/100 network card

you are paying for 300 at the hub - you have not shown you are not getting that - if you are testing wifi then anything is possible

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Go to your Device Manager and check the Network Adapter and check Properties on your Network Card. Click advanced and Scroll down to view Speed and Duplex and make sure it is set to 1Gbs or Auto-Negotiation. You may find you need a Cat 6 cable or another Network Card. I have a Toshiba which gets up to 90Mbs and an OLDER Lenovo which gets the full 200 Mbs which I am contracted to.

Hi @Peterfettes thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're not receiving the expected speeds.  Have you been able to follow the recommendations of your fellow community members?  If, so, how have things gone?

Regards

Lee_R