cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful Packet Loss NW3

damawa42
On our wavelength

Awful packet loss in NW3. What's being done about it, Virgin?

Frequent connection drop-outs

damawa42_0-1641457041999.png

Simple traceroute shows loss occurring all throughout the Virgin network (outside of my house)

damawa42_0-1641457125112.png

36 REPLIES 36

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Would look to be a local issue with Docsis/gateway
---------------------------------------------------------------

damawa42
On our wavelength

Can you elaborate?

Local is in... my kit my house? Or local as in "external but nearby in the virgin network"?

And (if local to me) issue as in... configuration I can change? Reboot? 
Or Hub needs replacing?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@damawa42 wrote:

Or local as in "external but nearby in the virgin network"?

That

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @damawa42,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

I have taken a look at your account and can see that there is a Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) outage impacting your area. This has been raised under Fault Reference F009535738 and the estimated time of fix is 13 JAN 2022 15:00.

You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this for you.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

damawa42
On our wavelength

Hi Ayisha,

Thank you for confirming that Virgin are aware of the issue. Sadly spending another 4+ days waiting for the fix is unacceptable.

Do you monitor issues like this yourselves or are you only reactive to customers posting graphs like I did? These issues need to be jumped on much faster.

Why does Virgin crumble into almost unusable levels of service approximately every six months? I have to nag you every six months to get your service back to acceptable levels - this is not how it should be!

FYI even worse today, averaging 15-20% packet loss at times.
And why is there such a HUGE spike in latency around 2am-4am?

damawa42_0-1641805016801.png

I would therefore like a 20% refund for this month. Your service levels are unacceptable and driving me to use alternative connections (e.g. my 4G backup) 

I'm really sorry you are experiencing these packet loss issues during this outage. 

I can see the outage was official opened on the 22nd December 2021 and has been investigated and monitored since. It could be that you are now experiencing the outage and as we have moved forward with locating and fixing the noise on the line it has now started to affect your service. You may also find that your service starts to work as normal even when the outage is still open. 

I have checked and the outage estimated end time and date remain on 13th January at 3pm. I recommend rebooting your equipment at this time and let us know if you are still having issues and we can check for updates. I have been able to locate your account and can see the outage is logged on the account, meaning you will be assessed for automatic compensation should you have had a total loss of service. 

Thanks,  

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

damawa42
On our wavelength

Hi

Only getting compensation for "total loss of service" isn't good enough.

I should get compensation when the service is too poor to be used. Just because you've managed to 'connect' doesn't mean your service is actually operating in a usable fashion!!!! This "all or nothing" attitude for compensation is poor.

So you're telling me you knew about the issue on 22nd Dec but you only bothered to try to fix it once I started complaining about it!?!?!?!

No wonder your service degrades to unacceptable levels every six months. You don't even care about maintaining a decent infrastructure.

damawa42
On our wavelength

Hi - this issue still is not fixed. The given date has passed and I have restarted my Virgin box.

Please explain the delay.

Please also provide a new realistic estimate for the date and time of the fix.

Additionally - your forum email alerts are broken - last night I received two notifications about new replies on this topic, but both times I looked there was no new message. 

Hi damawa42, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

Just to clarify, as soon as we become aware of a fault we start working on fixing things. Work began to locate this fault the same day it was raised. 

Due to the complexity of the issue, it can take a while to get things sorted as we need to locate the exact part of the cable/network causing the issue and then work needs to start on repairing this. The team are going as quickly as they can. 

The estimated fix dates offered are based on the information we have at that time. These can end up being delayed just as much as they are brought forward. 

Looking at the fault itself, it looks as though in your case then estimate fix time has been delayed. The new date and time is 20th January at 14:10. 

I understand this won't be the best news but this is all the information we have. 

In terms of the automatic compensation scheme, this is something that was agreed to with our regulators OFCOM and CISAS. We can take a look at things on an individual level once the fault is closed. The teams can look at past usage and compare this to usage during the fault. Should this be seriously affected they can provide a one off credit. We'll need to wait until the fault has closed before anything is looked at though. 

If you require any further updates , just pop back here. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs