cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atrocious upload speed

SpookyElectric1
On our wavelength

I'm on the M500 package and the download speed and upload speed usually sit around 530Mbps down and 35Mbps up – but today the upload speed is struggling to hit 2Mbps and is impacting the remote connection to the office PC. Download speed is as high as usual.

Rebooted the Virgin Hub4 router (used in modem mode) and the Netgear XR500 router with no improvement.

Service status page says no issues in the area, but when I run a test it says there is an issue in the area and to monitor the status page (which again says there's no issue when I click the link). Stuck in an infinite check loop!

Any suggestion?

Area: 20

33 REPLIES 33

The ticket was opened last Tuesday (6 days ago) – so that is some delay!

Just rang the service line and, guess what? No errors reported in the area.

I give up.

I am sorry for that @SpookyElectric.

You can come back here and we can check on the updates for you if needed, we will be doing everything possible to fix this issue, but sometimes unforeseen circumstances can cause further delay.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Any update on this? After a week open ticket, is it really going to be fixed by 4pm today?!

Everything was fine from 7:30am until 9:00am (getting around 20-25Mbps up, which is still slower than it should be) but now it's dropped to less than 1Mbps. Have resorted to using 4G on my mobile Personal Hotspot just so I can get some work done. Not ideal, but at least it works consistently.

Hello @SpookyElectric.

We still have the estimated fixture time of 4pm for this to be fixed today.

I can not guarantee that this time or date will not change as it is estimated, unforeseen circumstance can cause delays.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused recently, but we will be doing everything we can to bring this back on.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Do we know if someone is even on their way to fix the problem, and what can I do about compensation for the down-time?

Hello @SpookyElectric1.

Yes an engineer is on their way to fix the issue at hand.

We would not compensate unless the service was completely off and you were unable to use the internet, please see our auto compensation scheme here to see further information on this. 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

As far as I'm concerned not being able to connect to my office PC for most of the day renders the internet 'unusable'. Having to use my mobile's 4G connection instead means I'm certainly not getting what I'm paying for. I may also need to buy more data on my phone contract to keep me working.

Have you tried connecting your office PC to your wired connection @SpookyElectric1?

Please do see our code of practice web-page to see your options, I am sorry for the inconvenience this is causing.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

I think you misunderstand. I'm connecting to the office PC via a Remote Connection. I am working from home. I need a reasonable upload speed to connect and send information to the office PC. That's not happening with less than 1Mbps upstream.

Wired or WiFi – the issue is the same. It's noise / low power on the upstream (see the readings sent yesterday) – not an internal cabling problem (only been connected to Virgin at this address for one month). I suspect not enough capacity allowed for the amount of connections in the area... and a lot more people working from home now. The upstream dropped significantly between 9-9:30am.

As I have stated in my previous comments, I am aware of an area issue causing your problems @SpookyElectric.

I know this has caused you and others problems while working from home, for that I am sorry.

I am unable to change this or speed up the issue being fixed, we are waiting for the engineer to arrive so they can identify the problem and fix it asap.

If you are unhappy with this then please raise a complaint from the code of practice link I have sent you on my last message.

We are doing everything we can to help you, but we are limited to what we can do regarding this.

Thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team