Menu
wanderluster
Tuning in
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Areas with very fast fibre

Goslow... my most recent answer was before I saw yours, and of course I may not be as expert at using the 'blobs' as some people of course. I also acknowledge your links, some of which I have already.

I'll give you an example. If I click on the Perth area, whether I click on the general blob or whether I zoom in and click on a green dot, it just shows me 'Perth and North Perthshire Superfast and Fibre Coverage'. If I stray over a bit further it goes to Ochils but the readings are only very general. Perth and North Perthshire covers quite a vast area of many towns and villages, so maybe you see my point aboiut a 'list'. If I go off the beaten track a bit and key in the postcode to properties that I've shortlisted, then the available speeds, from any provider, frequently diminish to a crawl. It may come over as an idle trollish question, but if you try this, you may realise the difficulty I am having, whether it is my 'fault' or not. The prices of property in desirable, more rural locations are very much better, and, as I work from home, more attractive than the bustle of a city. But I want to be able to sync my online storage of large work projects across multiple devices quickly, else it produces errors. Finding suitable properties is a very time-consuming business in itself, especially if you want to search across a wide area (e.g anywhere in Scotland with reasonable transport links no more than a few miles away). So when I do that only then can I key in a postcode and see what the broadband access is like. 

I thank people for their well-meaning answers, so please don't take offence if I haven't found what I want.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media's network covers barely more than 60% of households, and that's mostly in urban areas. It's a waste of time looking in rural areas. If I were you I'd look in city and town centres and up to their perimeters.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
wanderluster
Tuning in
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mate. I was beginning to suspect that. Good to hear it confirmed. Their best speeds are pretty awesome and it’s rather easy to take them for granted or assume they have wide coverage. 

I’ve had some differences with VM in the past but there’s no denying the vast superiority of their speeds if you can get them. I imagine the cost of taking fibre to some small village must be pretty horrific but let’s hope that in time they can roll them out to more and more places. 

A thought for the techies ... maybe using a home server would be a temporary workaround? If you sync several devices to projects secured on the cloud then of course there can be overlaps at slow speed, but if they sync to a a home server which then syncs to the cloud perhaps this would overcome the probable? (This is a critical thing for me, so a definite answer from anyone who knows really appreciated but not expected.)

I think my question is more or less answered — there isn’t a ‘list’. But one can’t expect a service provider to be omnipotent. All I’d say is, to anyone who hasn’t tried their top speeds yet, if you have the chance, try it. When everything happens instantly you’ll wonder how you ever managed without it!

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I use Acronis to backup onto my NAS (for fast restore) and to the Acronis cloud for additional peace of mind, the latter I schedule daily and it takes minutes for these incremental backups (but days to initially do a full backup). Here's a page with more information.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/blog/posts/cloud-backup-and-cloud-storage-what-difference

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
wanderluster
Tuning in
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That’s pretty useful — or will be once I have time to get my head round it completely. I bought a cheap (WD Cloud) intending something like that in conjunction with my regular (paid-for) cloud storage. Then found there are security issues with that model. For me it’s a case of finding something that is reliable at business level. The programs I rely on have limited compatibility resulting in not-infrequent crashes. Although I save after any or all small changes, it’s not easy to check if something were lost on a huge project, and a nightmare if different devices report a sync error. So very fast cloud storage (near instant) has been the best protection, saving even minor changes to the cloud version. But a back-up solution would be handy and I think you may have suggested one. Cheers. 

0 Kudos