Menu
wanderluster
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Areas with very fast fibre

I live in the centre of Edinburgh with very fast fibre broadband (200Mb) but plan to move soon. I notice it is not available in outlying towns. How far out of the city can I move and still get the highest speeds? I know there’s a postcode checker, but it takes so long to key in postcodes for every possible area. Is there a list of towns somewhere please?

0 Kudos
goslow
Up to speed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Areas with very fast fibre

Does this help?

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#6/51.414/-0.641/

Zoom in to Edinburgh then use check boxes on the RHS to select your options.

There are plenty of results for Virgin Media around Edinburgh and the map seems to show some clearly-defined areas of coverage which might help you. Once you have an idea of general area you could revert back to the postcode checker.

SamKnows postcode checker can also be useful if you have not tried that yet but mapping seems to not be working at the moment

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

0 Kudos
wanderluster
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Not really. I’m looking for areas where I can have Virgin 200meg. The map doesn’t seem to include those speeds unless I’m missing something? So far I’ve found Edinburgh Glasgow Burntisland and Dundee (though I don’t want to live in Dundee). 

0 Kudos
goslow
Up to speed
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I think you are missing something. The first link gives you a map, clicking Virgin Media gives you a series of green dots where VM is available at a particular postcode and someone has carried out a speed test on the site. Zoom out on the map and you get a wide-are map where you 'might' be able to get Virgin Media. That clearly gives you areas/towns.

Whether or not you can get the VM service at a specific individual address depends on the exact location. One group of people in one street may be able to get a VM service, a group in the next street along may not. It is as local as that even though VM is in the 'area'.

Perhaps if you knew where you might like to live would help, unless you are basing your moving decision on the availability of Virgin Media 200 Mb/s broadband which would be very ..... odd!

Maybe one of the forum team can provide the info you are looking for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
wanderluster
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. However my concern is not based on staying with VM. I’m with Virgin Media simply because they can offer far superior speeds to anyone else. If I go down a notch, then there are other suppliers who offer a ‘relatively’ fast speed and in some places where VM don’t.

In my decision on where I want to live, broadband speed is an important factor. I work from home and having speeds up to 200 makes my particular work much easier. So it’s a trade-off. Location by street is only a useful refinement if one knows that the highest speeds are at least available in the vicinity. 

So Burntisland was a lucky guess. It might not be available in everything street, but it’s worth looking as some do. I had hoped that someone might have a list of towns where at least some addresses have the highest speeds. 

Thanks anyway. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK the 350Mbps offer is the only one restricted to specific areas. 200Mbps is available routinely anywhere if you want it. VM will not install over-utilised areas. Usee the post code checker onn the main site to check for your location.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

A different approach perhaps from the hotspot function of the Virgin Media Connect app:

48B304D0-4C60-4512-9CB2-52E8648D924D.png

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
goslow
Up to speed
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

wanderluster

Thanks to HowardML for clarifying on the 200 Mb/s availability. If that's so, you can go back to the green blobs in the first link as a starting point for VM searches, subject to any over-utilisation issues you should be able to find what you are after. Use in conjunction with Ernie_C's hotspot map.

If you are not tied to the idea of VM only, then check out the other features of the first link I posted. Use the 'Browse by Area' tab at the top. Click on Scotland. Use the drop downs at the top for different areas for an idea of speeds/coverage. That gives you geographical areas rather than postcodes

Or use the OFCOM checker

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/broadband-coverage

enter postcode and then click the 'View map of available services' button further down. Once you have got that far you can zoom out on the map and go where you want to all across Scotland!

This one says it is derived from OFCOM

https://maps.cdrc.ac.uk/#/metrics/bband/default/BTTTFFT/10/-3.7049/55.9415/

There is one from the FT (part way down the page) in a 'heat map' style

https://ig.ft.com/gb-broadband-speed-map/

Definitions of 'fast' vary on all of these though, as you have mentioned, and the size of the samples varies as well which may affect accuracy. They are indicative-only of the areas. You will only get accurate information on speeds when you pin down the searches to a very specific location.

VM press releases may give you further clues on specific areas in Scotland undergoing changes

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases.html

Filter by category on 'Project Lightning' and browse through for Scottish references

Hopefully all of the above contributions will help you with your search.

0 Kudos
wanderluster
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I think I give up asking on this one.

As far as I understand
a) availability of hotspots don't tell you about very fast speeds
b) If VM officially don't actually offer a service as is the case in quite a few areas then clearly they don't offer 200-whatever. My current package is rated 200/300 I think, and I routrinely get 100+. If they offer it but it is through a gateway then speeds depend on how many people are using it.

I don't want to get into an argment with you guys, but seriously, if VM know which towns they service that at least reach 100-200 speeds in certain streets then there must be a list that can be generated. Perhaps they don't wish to do that, quite understandable, but that's all I was asking. It wouldn't be a very long list.

0 Kudos
goslow
Up to speed
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I won't post any more after this one. I certainly don't want an argument either but, to clarify, you have not been speaking to any VM employees up to this point just other VM customers trying to help you out fellow users. As such, we don't have a list of towns where VM operate nor any specific info on speed availabilty in those places.

The Super Users who have also replied have excellent knowledge across a whole range of VM subjects and HowardML has answered your question on the availability of 200 Mb/s. Kind of suspect you might possibly not even have looked at the links provided because, with a very small amount of effort, they would answer the questions you have posed albeit in graphical form rather than a list.

Best to wait for one of the forum team to pick this up. Hopefully they can provide the town information list you need. It can take about a week or more for them to reply.