Menu
andijames
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 Over Subscription Issue - Slow Speeds Consistently - November 2017 Resolution

So i'm based in Area 20 (a large Manchester area) and currently on the 200Mbps package. At the moment our speed never gets any higher than 30M although uploads seem consistently ok (around 10M-12M). Called Virgin on Friday only to be told and confirmed by 3 different operators (i was passed from pillar to post - 5 different operators of varying specialities!) that this is a contention issue that will not be resolved until NOVEMBER!. Yes. NOVEMBER. That is 7 months from now.

The only solution that was offered to me was to downgrade my package to 50M (which i still wouldn't get the max from) whilst there were ongoing issues. Now the only reason i joined virgin was for the 'super fast' fibre package. If i want to get 20-30 meg then there are more than enough providers out there to choose from.

There are a few things i'm wondering here - 

1) Are Virgin still accepting new orders in an overly subscribed area?

2) Are the new subscribers being given preferential speeds over longer serving customers?

3) Is this even legal? It's borderline lying on what they are promising.

I'm interested to hear other people's feedback on this issue. I refuse to cancel on the basis that i want the service that i'm actually a) paying for and b) was promised. I'll just keep posting speed updates about how poor it is until it's fixed in the hope that new customers know what they're signing up for.

Any feedback welcome on this situation - oh and before a rep recommends i call i'm not going through the rigmarole of being told to turn my router 'on and off again' and having retentions basically tell me the competition can't match their speeds (even though they TOLD ME about the contention issue in the area).

0 Kudos
AnyonebutVM
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20 Over Subscription Issue - Slow Speeds Consistently - November 2017 Resolution

I joined this community an hour ago and I've already discovered that large parts of the country, mainly cities are receiving horrendous fibre broadband because Virgin can't cope with the demand.

Your questions are spot on, are they signing up more and more customers knowing their service won't cope and taking their money. Offering their measly discounts for appalling service until we leave?

They must be spending more on advertising than they do on their promised upgrades.

I would not take them up on their offer of downgrading to 50mb, I did this and I'm currently suffering 0-2mbps download speeds at peak times. When I complain I am reminded that it is only peak times I am affected, but as I work full time, it is only periods I use the internet. Maybe I should start setting my alarm for 3am so I can enjoy their excellent speeds.

My advice to you, and anyone who lives within 10 miles of Manchester, or any other major city, is leave now and never look back.

I just hope the other fibre broadband providers aren't all experiencing similar demand issues. It might be cheaper to move out of the city to the rural areas where broadband is more reliable, how the tables have turned.

Regarding your point about lying the customers, this is a very poignant one. My service status happily shouts that there are no known broadband issues in my area. Which is a lie bigger than the brexit bus, every time I ring they tell me that ongoing works are the reason for my non-existent broadband. All these problems are being swept under the rug whilst virgin do their best to entice millions of new victims with their shiny adverts.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20 Contention Issue - Slow Speeds Consistently - November 2017 Resolution

Hi there andijames,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

My apologies you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

From checking your connection, I can see the high peak time traffic fault in your area which you mentioned. The reference number is F004142096 and has a review date of 29th November. As this is a review date it can be subject to change due to the work that is required to improve bandwidth.

As this fault will impact your broadband during peak hours, do you notice these speeds outside these hours?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
andijames
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20 Contention Issue - Slow Speeds Consistently - November 2017 Resolution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question no the problem doesn't seem to occur out of peak hours (basically when i'm either asleep or in work) which is next to useless really unless i work nights (which i don't).

The speeds are consistently around 40 meg from when i arrive home at around 5PM and this continues all night and over the weekends which is getting ridiculous really.

I know you say you don't throttle on higher packages but there must be some kind of traffic shaping going on to ensure everyone gets a consistently crap connection in the area? The proof in this is on every speed test it starts off at 200 meg and immediately tanks down to 40 meg and then stables out. 

The upload speed is consistently maxed out and the ping is consistently good (which is strange - over contention would also effect this pretty bad without management).

My question is given we're receiving 20% of the service we are a) paying for and b) signed up for:

1) Are you still actively taking subscribers on in the area?

2) Are they getting the same 20% service as i'm experiencing?

3) How can this take 7 more months to fix? This is a pretty major drop in performance.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

1) Yes. They continue to take on new subscriptions in over utilised areas and it can make the problem worse. 

2) Yes. They get the same diminished service if it's a utilisation fault. I'd love to get 40Mbs, but I get 5Mbs at peak times on a 150Mbs contract. All my neighbours must be suffering the same problem, but just because they're not complaining here doesn't mean to say it's not happening.

3) 7 months is not to fix, it's to "review". My fault in Portsmouth has been ongoing since October 2015, was last reviewed in March 2017 and will next be reviewed in December 2017.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Herbie1954
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20 Over Subscription Issue - Slow Speeds Consistently - November 2017 Resolution

I am in Area20(Manchester) on Vivid 200, 200meg service.  Off peak the service is good, at peak times it dips up and down continuously between 7pm and 11pm going as low as 1.5megs .  It makes catchup TV  unusable....I accept there will be some slow down a speak times but fromm 200 down to 1.5megs is totally unacceptable.  When will this situation be resolved?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Herbie1954

I am sorry you are having problems with speed however it is a bit of a puzzle as your cable/segment/CMTS has low levels of traffic with plenty of spare capacity. Your line and hub parameters all looking good. At the moment it looks like all the connected devices are wireless so I wonder if that is degrading in the evening and causing a problem. If not already it is best to measure speed with a wired device to www.speedtest.net leaving the default server please Checking your Virgin Media broadband performance

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos