Menu
Highlighted
Markgen
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 Disconnects/Slow Speed

I have been having problems with my internet for the last four days despite the fact that I have a new hub. My internet has dropped out a few times over the last few days and has been terrible today. My speeds also keep dropping down from 100mbps to virtually nothing and at the moment it is totally unreliable. Judging by other posts on here this is not an isolated incidents. I am very unhappy about this as I had a lot of problems with my internet for the first couple of years I was with Virgin. I am annoyed that problems seem to be happening again.

0 Kudos
jockstar
Joining in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 20 Disconnects/Slow Speed

Same here, been really slow for the last couple of days. Getting 12meg download, 0.1 meg upload.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Markgen - is it just on wifi ? How do ethernet connected devices behave ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jgomm
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Also getting this problem, and it isn't isolated to any singular device.

Phones, laptops, PC's, wires, no wires, CA5e, CAT 6, and customer support is no help to anyone. They don't listen ... "we have to follow a process" ... I totallly get they have a process to follow but this continuous notion that it isn't there fault is quite frankly a poor farce. I've been suffering for well over a week now, been sent new router and virgin tried to make out I should make do with problem till they could send me a new ethernet cable. They even tried to suggest that my 100mbps, which doesn't hold a continuous 100mbps connection, should only be used on a singular device. They also don't care about overall readings, only the final reading, and upload speed they totally ignore. I'm sorry but upload speeds are just as important as download. If those requests aren't getting through, everything just hangs.

To say i'm angry about being blagged off by virgin's customer service is an understatement. There is a fault in your service. Stop trying to blame customers and fix it!

Markgen
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I only connect up using ethernet as I don't trust wireless. Having said that I am having the same issues with my ipad and iphone

0 Kudos
Markgen
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I agree with you. Everything was working fine until Sunday so something is going on and it's not down to the customer

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As well as the “check service,” weblink at the top of this forum board, there is also a Service Status number 0800 561 0061 which usually tells you of local issues, down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) that may give you more info. If nothing shows there call it in and see what they say when they test your connection and if possible get a fault reference number.
This should also start your "compensation "timer".
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Markgen
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I got through to customer complaints today who were as helpful as they could be. They did tell me the service was being upgraded and while the work was going on my internet would be intermittent. That's an understatement and a half. It's not worked all day today and I am lucky it's working now although it's pretty damn slow. Estimated fix date.....NOVEMBER 2019!!!!!!!!!! Of course I told them that was not acceptable and to get it sorted. Engineer supposed to be calling tomorrow morning. I won't hold my breath. And the service status is useless as it still says there are no problems in this area but the chap I spoke to could quite clearly see that there was. If I can find another ISP that offers a good service in my neck of the woods I am out of here.

0 Kudos
Markgen
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/36670a7778d3c0c0a36eff679686e3e5bf...">My Broadband Ping - Marks Virgin Media Broadband Connection

This is what has been going on. Hopefully it makes sense to somebody. I don't have the hub switched on at night.

0 Kudos
Markgen
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Engineer has just been, the problem was with the cabinet which is situated opposite my house. All fixed and back to full speed. I am sure this would have taken a lot longer had I gone through the normal channels such as the Indian Call Centre. I called customer complaints and that did the trick. After this quick fix Virgin Media are redeemed :-)

0 Kudos