Menu
mayak76
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Area 15 ridiculous peak time speed

Hi,

I am in area 15, and it looks like another area with utilisation problem - I am supposed to be on 100Mb, but only getting 5Mb in the evening, between about 7pm and 11pm. It goes back to 100Mb around 11-12. It's a joke when the download speed is actually lower than the upload speed! I've been talking to customer service about it for almost a year, and each time they are giving me a new date when it is supposed to be fixed - needless to say, it still hasn't been.

I can see so many people on this forum complaining about the same thing, maybe it's time to get media involved in these shambles? Getting 1/20th of the promised service is beyond false advertising, imho...

I have been with Virgin Media for over 5 years, but the last year has been the worst. I am about to give up on Virgin Media altogether. Unfortunately, there are no other fibre optics providers in this area atm...

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 15 ridiculous peak time speed

Hey mayak76,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that you're being affected by a fault in your area. I can see fault F004270482 is present in your area and is being reviewed on the 10th May. As you know, this fault can affect peak time speeds and we will need to upgrade the network to repair this. Please post back to us after the review date  and for info.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
mayak76
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J,

I've been getting the same response with a fault number and a new review date each time I contact customer service for about a year now. Doesn't look like this company is even considering fixing the issue, if there is one in the first place... Looking at all the messages on this forum, are there any areas in London without "utilisation" faults? Really seems more and more like a total rip-off by a company not able to provide the service they advertise. I guess Usain Bolt takes a nap in the evenings...  What a joke.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi mayak76,

Sorry again for the trouble.

Our technicians are working to improve the network in your area to support the increased demand for services. I understand this is frustrating as these type of upgrades can take time to implement.

I've run diagnostics on your equipment and I've picked up and issue with your Upstream Power levels that will also be negatively influencing your speeds. I'd like to send a technician to adjust this for you.

I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
earlenmeyer
Just joined
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Not to pile in, but I can only echo the complaints made here regarding Area 15. I only recently joined Virgin and while I have been impressed so far by the speeds during the rest of the day, the peak time variance is so bad that it is at a point where it is seriously causing my family to complain. While on a notional 50Mbps speed, it drops as low as 2Mbps during the aforementioned evening window.

The variance is so bad, I am considering swtiching us back to a normal DSL provider since I think my household would prefer a slower but guaranteed quality of service versus the several hours of unusable internet access we currently suffer.

0 Kudos
mayak76
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

To update: a Virgin Media engineer came by and fixed the high upstream power levels. Unfortunately, that did not affect the low speed at all - if anything, it is a little bit worse now... I am still getting 5-6Mb in the evening, can hardly manage to stream anything at all with any decent quality.  Useless...

0 Kudos
daneyh
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Having the exact same problems in Area 15, reference is F003395649

Its a complete joke we have to wait till january 2019 to get someone to fix the utilisation....we should get refunds...200mb fibre optic is rubbish. gonna email ofcom to sort this nonsense.

0 Kudos
mayak76
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I got 50 quid refund from them - not much, considering this has been going on for months... Personally I think this whole "utilisation problem" is a scam. Nobody is bothering to fix anything, just look at every single message on this board. 

daneyh
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Of course it is. 'Utilisation problem' is just a code word to get us to shut up and eat more terrible broadband for x number of months until we get enough ofcom complaints we have to be seen to be doing something.

£46 per month. Terrible service. Who are the mugs here?

0 Kudos
mayak76
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm trying to get enough interest in my apartment building to get Hyperoptic connected. Then I can say good bye to all this ******

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos