Menu
coolhanddeek
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Area 11 - speed issue

Hi Recently (over a week ago) fell victim to the dreaded loss of speed during peak time - currently experiencing around 2.5Mbps down and 11Mbps up (which is the usual up speed = no change) Latency on ping response times is way longer than it should be. I'm on the Vivid upto 200Mb service, and its been nearly a year since I've had anywhere near over 100Mbps, never mind up to 200Mbps. Certainly for around the last 6 months I've only had around 70Mbps. Did the usual and contacted support and as much as they were their usual friendly selves, their suggestion that the router was the root of the problem and a replacement would fix was incorrect at best. I've since received and replaced the device (old superhub2 replaced with 2AC) with no difference either via ethernet or Wifi. Put the device into modem mode, attached a separate Access point and tested - same result. It's clearly not any internal devices; the only explanation is that the service is now heavily contended in our area to the extent that traffic shaping / management is heavily deployed during peak times (certainly after 6pm and not before midnight) and all weekend. I've run regular speed tests around these times, after midnight and before 8am, and my D/L speed is back to 70Mb with little latency, although this is still unacceptable as I should be getting the speed I'm paying for. I can accept I might not get 200Mb, but it should be up somewhere around 150-170Mbps I understand there may be a current case reference for this area if someone can confirm? Sorry for the long post, but when you are the point of contact for the moans of the family when the BB is as slow as a week in jail, it gets tiring... Cheers
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area 11 - speed issue

Hi coolhanddeek, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your issues with slow speeds, I apologise for any troubles incurred.

I have tested the connection from here for you and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges.

Are you still having these issues? If so, how are you connected when the slow speeds occur, wired or wireless?

Also, when you connect directly to the Hub via ethernet cable, are the speeds still slow?

It would be great if you could run a speed test with the Hub running in modem mode connected directly via ethernet cable to the computer running in safe mode with networking and post the results here for us to see.

When do you notice these slow speeds, all times of day or just specific times?

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Rootz
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Area 11 has been fine before around Christmas and since around Christmas it started to be come crap in the in the evenings. Going down to 10-20 mbit is your lucky.

There is no problem with his modem, area 11 is getting over utilized and it will get to the point where we do not have internet in the evening anymore, so before we get to that point, please look into the over utilization

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Rootz,

Thanks for getting in touch Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're getting, I know this is frustrating.

I appreciate you posting your speed test results. I've taken a look and I can confirm we have recently raised a fault in your area under reference: F005113161 which is being reviewed on the 14th June. This fault can be responsible for reducing speeds, especially during peak time hours.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
johnk1949
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I am also having a speed issue in Area 11 - but with different symptoms.

My speed is currently steady at around 41 Mbs at all times and has been for over a fortnight.

I was receiving the full 200 Mbs before this. Is anyone else having similar issues?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there johnk1949,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Apologies you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. 

Looking at your connection, the downstream power levels are too low at -7 dBmV and the upstream is too high at 54 dBmV. As this can have an impact on your broadband I would like to arrange for an engineer appointment to adjust these for you. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

There is also a high peak time traffic fault in your area which is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F004382766 and has a review date of 28th June.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jessie143
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I live in Area 11. I am a new Virgin customer leaving Sky in March 2017. New cables had to be laid as we never had cable. I have never had high speeds since I joined even though I am paying for 200mb. I have regularly taken speed tests of my broadband speed - worse download was 0.39mbps and upload 3.19mbps and ping was 15 on 30 May 2017 at 13:41. But I have very fluctuating download of 25- 50mbps. Normally worse in the early morning when normally getting about 3.00mbps. Finally I rang Virgin yesterday 3 June 2017 and spoke to a tech guy. Really helpful. He could see I was having problems after having remote access of my network etc. After speaking to him I was getting downloads of 113mbps and upload 12.61mbps. Hurrah. But no at 15.35 yesterday a drop and was getting a download of 55.8:mbps and by 05:49 this morning I was getting a download of 5.60mbps. So no proper fix then. At 12:06 today I am getting a download of 114.18mbps. What is going on? Is this what to expect my broadband to be?

0 Kudos
Jessie143
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, my error I am Area 22

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jessie143,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read you are having an issue with the broadband connection.

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. The network segment is running stable and healthy which is good.

Are you testing the speeds through a wired or wireless connection? If wireless can you try through wired at different times of the day please and let us know the results.

Look forward to hearing from you

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
bobster691
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

i have been told my virgin this issues is going to take until september to sort as the line cannot take all the traffic which is very annoying as i wasnt told this when i got it 6 weeks ago max i get is 55 meeg when i pay for 200m

0 Kudos