Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 21 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are Virgin throttling users speeds?

Hi Rancid, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have also had trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault F004332018 for slow speeds at peak times. I have popped the details across to the team that deal with this type of issue and they will contact you as soon as they can with some more information. The current review date is 08/02/2017. 

Fingers crossed we will have better news for you soon. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Rancid
Up to speed
Message 22 of 36
Flag for a moderator

it will come as no shock what so ever to hear the review date is now somewhere in April.
Might as well be any date > than today but <end of time.

still we can all laugh about it cant we.

Area 21 SW16 crap speeds for 12+ Months... current fault F004332018, Complaint COM101113771 Ignored, VM code of conduct Ignored... Avoid VM at all costs
0 Kudos
jmanuh
Just joined
Message 23 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I am tired of Virgin internet. I complained for the first 12 months and had 2 engineers attend my property but I still encounter issues with speed and dropping internet. I have ran test after test and updated devices checked with neighbours who are with isp's who do not offer anywhere near the advertised speeds Virgin claim.  Eventually you just stop complaining as you realise its a waste of time and people on the phones generally will tell you anything to get rid of you.  Its easier to just wait for your contract  to end then move. Mines finishes in August and I have a new provider lined up.  One of my nearby neighbours is with Sky (whom I wouldnt use either)  and his phone lines into the building are old and are not fit for purpose. His speeds are very low yet his internet works faster than my internet. I was paying for 200MB and very quickly downgraded to 50MB as was paying for 200 and getting nearly 50 occasionally. I now pay for 50 and they have upgraded to 100 yet I still only manage 25 max..... They have totally misled me and attempted to blame my devices with the phrase not futureproofed!!!  This is a cop out as the devices are new and were replaced yet the same still goes on. So I have purchased new devices, computer, laptop, mobile phones, xbox one.  Still this goes on. I know that I am too far from the exchange and this affects the performance of my internet.  I was told a booster was applied to my line to ensure this was not a problem.  Yet it clearly is, I was charged for months for a service that I could not use properly.  This should be the case for everyone who purchases the internet. Checks should be done prior to accepting customers and they should be charged on the basis of the speeds they obtain instead of the advertised speed claims of the ISPs.  This way you pay for the speed received not the speeds promised. This will stop ISPs using speeds obtained in central London or elsewhere to sell to regular users in differing areas UK wide.  Its a scam and shocking its allowed to happen. I would not recommend Virgin to anyone from my experience and problems that are too long to list.  

albertz11
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I have  a 300 mbps connection and I'm lucky if I get 25 at anytime of day....Can't wait till Spetember then It's goodbye Virgin.

0 Kudos
Mrzapie
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We've got quite a few accounts with VM, and the complaints we get about speed are getting tiresome.

As a summary depending on the "service" we pay for during peak periods download speed is about 20% of that quoted. VM tell me that there are no over utilisation issues that have been logged in the area.

We've got another 4 months before it is economically realistic to shift away from VM, do I have any other options other than paying for a service we're not getting?

On the upside if we dump accounts and assuming over utilisation is the issue it should help neighbouring VM subscribers!

Cheers

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 26 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Do VM still do 150mbps? it used to be 152 but I didn't know that
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 27 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:
Do VM still do 150mbps? it used to be 152 but I didn't know that

Yes. It was a free upgrade from 100Mbs a couple years back

The tiers I can think of are:

20Mbs (limited data)

30Mbs (legacy?)

50Mbs

70Mbs (legacy speed boost from 50Mbs)

100Mbs

120Mbs (older legacy speed boost)

150Mbs (legacy speed boost)

152Mbs (legacy)

200Mbs

200Mbs Gamer (legacy)

300Mbs

300Mbs Homework’s+ (Legacy? Basically same as gamer)

350Mbs

Unsure if all 300 went to 350Mbs, potentially other tiers I can’t remember. But you can still be on any of them, if the customers on legacy don’t call and renegotiate or ask for their speed boost, they never got it and stayed on the current.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 28 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mrzapie,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry about the congestion issues. Have you been made aware of the estimated fix date for this?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Mrzapie
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 36
Flag for a moderator

No, according to your tech' team there are no issues so nothing can be done. They are not aware of any utilisation issues on the network, left me on hold for 50 minutes, gave me an ideal opportunity to investigate other offers for multiple accounts.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 30 of 36
Flag for a moderator

When my area was bad the tech team let me go without penalty as the V6 box was not getting anywhere near what it needed. Maybe they will for you too?
0 Kudos