Menu
Mrzapie
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are Virgin throttling users speeds?

They probably would as they don't have a clue about customer retention, what we're going to do will wake VM up.

0 Kudos
Mrzapie
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 36
Flag for a moderator

VM are beyond belief, the more you complain, VM give you another badge. Customer care at it's comedic best.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 33 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mrzapie, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, we're very sorry for any frustration this has been causing. 

When you're testing your speeds at peak times, are the tests being testing over WiFi or with an Ethernet cable?

Would it be possible to carry out a wired speed test at speedtest.net and share the results with us? 

Regards, 

Dean C

0 Kudos
HarborneBlue
Settling in
Message 34 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi - I've worked in IT for a long time and the quick answer is that Yes, Virgin do throttle connections at peak times. They expanded very quickly and do not have the capacity to supply the speeds that they claim. Unless you're paying for a fat package, your service will drop. We pay for 100Mbps and it regularly drops to <10. As soon as we can move to another provider we will.

Also upcoming legislation changes where suppliers have to quote on average speeds will hurt Virgin.

In the meantime, you can try turning off the firewall on the router. It may help.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 35 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@HarborneBlue wrote:

Hi - I've worked in IT for a long time and the quick answer is that Yes, Virgin do throttle connections at peak times. They expanded very quickly and do not have the capacity to supply the speeds that they claim. Unless you're paying for a fat package, your service will drop. We pay for 100Mbps and it regularly drops to <10. As soon as we can move to another provider we will.

Also upcoming legislation changes where suppliers have to quote on average speeds will hurt Virgin.

In the meantime, you can try turning off the firewall on the router. It may help.

You’ve worked in IT but don’t understand the difference between VM actively throttling speeds and just the area having not enough capacity (over utilisation - which thankfully is a lot more rare this days).

VM do not in any way ACTIVELY throttle connections. It also doesn’t matter what package you are on, if the area doesn’t have the capacity for the demand in peak time then you could have a 10Mbs package of a 1Gbs package, it would still get reduced down.

The absolute vast majority of customers can and do receive the full speeds. VM publish monthly the average speeds customers reach in the day and at peak times which are independently collected. They used to show significant contention at peak times for all customers but these days the peak speeds align with the headline speeds bar the odd 1-5Mbs variance. So the legislation won’t really effect VM as they already publish the averages. 

Wise up and read up before making sweeping statements.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 36 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@HarborneBlue wrote:

I am sure this IT is nothing to do with computers - because that whole paragraph makes you sound pretty dumb.

I get 551/38 24/7 and believe me I use it as such - so maybe I am being left out of this throttling? And yes I use a VPN now and again, but when I am not I use ports 21/22/23/443/563/80/41 and others - do P2P and USENET - play games - stream and speed test. 

Why? Last time I called VM I was told "You are averaging 4TB a month, must try harder! (no kidding - that's what the retentions guy said and I have that recorded as do VM I am sure) oSO now you can stick a 1 in front of that - and then some. 

0 Kudos