Anything I can do to improve my Steam download speed

james1986123
Tuning in

My speed when i do a speed is fine on sam knows real speed

speed to the hub 4

1113mbps

speed to my PC connected via ethernet

945mbps

When I downloaded a windows 10 iso file from itechtics.com as a test it was a 5.5gb file

I maintained a 107mb/sec download speed through the entire download

When I try downloading any games from steam. I get about 105mb/sec when the download very first starts but then it drops straight to about 18mb/sec and goes in and out of speed.

Something somewhere must be a issue?

Would new ethernet cables help or a night hawk gaming router help to main the 105mb/sec speed in steam, origin, battle launcher etc

thanks

4 REPLIES 4

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like steam is the bottleneck

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Steam reports that the average download for UK customers using VM is 82 Mbps.  What's your average?

Even for countries with impressive broadband like Spain or South Korea, average speeds remain around 100 Mbps.

My steam speeds start off amazing like I said at about 107/mb sec but within minutes they drop to 18/mb sec, it doesn't ever maintain the speed when downloading on steam. When you say steam could be the bottleneck what do you mean?

Hi @james1986123,

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some issues with download speeds recently.

To confirm, is this only happening via Steam, or are any other sites, services, and/or devices seeing a similar impact?

Can you also confirm if the device you're using Steam on is via a wired connection or a wireless/Wi-Fi connection?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!