Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Anyone achieving 1gig from hub 4 over wifi or ethernet?

One time I got 869 over ethernet ... 700 over wifi ... speeds usually much lower than this ... nothing close to the 1100 I was quoted.

Latency is fine.

Have tried every possible configuration of router setup and tested on multiple types of device in multiple locations around the house with only a single device connected to the network at a time.

No such thing as fast enough internet!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Anyone achieving 1gig from hub 4 over wifi or ethernet?

@col_in_bel wrote:

One time I got 869 over ethernet ... 700 over wifi ... speeds usually much lower than this ... nothing close to the 1100 I was quoted.

Latency is fine.

Have tried every possible configuration of router setup and tested on multiple types of device in multiple locations around the house with only a single device connected to the network at a time.

Limitations over a 1Gbps ethernet adapter, inlcuding overheads, are around 850 - 950 Mbps.

Limitations with the WiFi built into the HUB 4 (3×3 MIMO at 2.4GHz and 4×4 MIMO at 5GHz), including overheads, around 780Mbps.

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wifi5 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You need to think of 1Gig as a capacity rather than a speed.  Fastest I've seen from the Hub4s wifi is 600 with a Samsung s20 ultra. Unfortunately the Sh4 doesn't have do wireless 6 so you won't get much faster than that to one single device 

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Or put another way, the pipe coming in to the Hub 4 is about 17% bigger than each individual ethernet "pipe" out (eg to your main PC, or your own router or mesh), and 90% bigger than the virtual wifi pipe to a single device.

You can have multiple pipes out and those can (in theory) add up to the total incoming pipe size, but you'd need to do concurrent speed tests across all devices and add the resulting speeds together to see around 1,100 Mbps (as well as adjusting for any TCP/IP overheads and router efficiency).

So ignoring the overheads, if you had a wireless device at 600 mbps, then you could have two ethernet connections running at 250 each (or four at 125 Mbps).  Or any other permutation that adds up to 1,100 from ethernet connections individually up to around 930 Mbps and wifi devices up to around 600.  But you'll never be able to measure 1,100 Mbps on a single device with the Hub 4.

It was really a big bit daft of VM to launch the Hub 4 without at least one 2.5 Gbps ethernet port and Wifi 6, but you're living proof that people will still buy the offer as it stands.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Technically you could test the full bandwidth on one device by connecting via ethernet and wireless.

There are some applications, like (legal) torrenting, that can benefit from multiple connections since you download data in 'chunks' from multiple sources concurrently.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much ... I now understand the technology better and am happy with my new setup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How about modem mode and an 802.11ax wifi 6 router? ... would this make any difference?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@col_in_bel wrote:

How about modem mode and an 802.11ax wifi 6 router? ... would this make any difference?

You are still limited by the 1Gbps connection between the HUB and router.

You could, however, improve WiFi with a wifi 6 router but only if the devices themselves are WiFi 6 capable!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I humbly apologise to Virgin Media ... a peak time Saturday simultaneous 3 device speed test across PC, Mac, and mobile has confirmed a download speed of 1,146 Mbps / 1.146 Gig.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post.

Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 21.16.48.jpg

Tags (2)